Autotrader scam?

I still got the 2005 MINI COOPER S for sale at the price of £2000. The car is in excellent condition,

£2000 for a Cooper S in excellent condition? They're having a laugh! :suspect:

Just looked at the first 15 adverts for 2005 Mini Cooper S's on eBay.

Cheapest is £6,500 and the most expensive is £9,989.

John X

There is no car, only some Nigerian bloke somewhere.

He'll turn round and say oh I can't afford to come over because dear old Mrs Biddy is ill, can you wire me some money over in advance/send me all your bank details/sell me your soul instead.

It doesn't look like a 419 scam though. Why ask to arrange to meet, why make out that they're wealthy (travel by plane)... Seems a bit weird.

The OP could follow it up a bit and see how far he can string them along. 'Arrange' to meet them in Kings X station or something.

Also we sold our house and bought a big farm here in Thurso.

so a car is no more useful for us.

So what? They get taxis everywhere, there is a bus stop right outside their 'big farm', or their 'big farm' is next to a railway station? :suspect:

John X

So what? They get taxis everywhere, there is a bus stop right outside their 'big farm', or their 'big farm' is next to a railway station? :suspect:

John X

You think it's genuine then? Maybe you should buy the car, it's obviously a pretty good deal.

Can't believe there are posters who are questioning this.

Its the most obvious scam I have ever seen.

Several adverts for cars so far under priced it should raise alarm bells even before you enquire. Same wording on different email addresses.

Dodgy wording on the email. Total implausible reason for sale.

Hello!

• 3 months later...

I had the same when answering an autotrader add on saturday 03/09/11 complete with pictures

Hello,

The 2006 LANDROVER FREELANDER is still available for £2600.

The car is in excellent condition, garage kept and accident free. Has done only 77000 miles and comes with full service history. The car looks and works just fine and I never had problems with it. It comes with MOT (valid till 03/2011) and Road Tax ( valid till 02/2011). I am the registered keeper of the car and I have all the original papers.

I must tell you that right now we are in the Northern part of United Kingdom we bought a big farm here in a beautiful sea-side city called Thurso.

We are a couple of pensioners (I have 64 and my beloved wife is 63 years old). If you are really interested we are ready to make a trip to England and meet you personally next week. You can take the car for a test-drive and any kind of inspection.

Please tell us where do you live? I am sure we can arrange a meeting, a region acceptable for us and for you in the same time.

P.S. I appreciate if we can continue our conversation by e-mail. The mobile signal is poor here, we have to walk over 2 miles for a good phone call.

Thank you and let me know,

I did send a couple of replies before telling them I was on to them, why would you be selling a freelander when you live on a farm in the north of Scotland :huh:

Archived