Wedding cakes ideas

Hi,

does anyone know any good places that do wedding cakes but dont charge over the top just because its a wedding cake?

Also how much time do places normally need to make it?

Anyone have any ideas or lovely cakes as we are unsure of what type of cake we would like yet.

Thanks

I think I had mine done by a lady called Jill, I think it was Cakes by Jill. It's really annoying that I can't give you her details, I did have her business card but I seem to have lost it. I think our cake was 11" wide. It was a one tier round fruit cake and cost I think £70.

There is a photo here of it: http://s1095.photobucket.com/albums/i476/Love2print_L2P/

In regards to time I think she said that she would normally start making the decorations for a cake about two weeks in advance. But I think that depends on how complex the cake decorations are and how many tiers you have.

I think it would start with deciding what sort of cake you're going to have, because for a lot of cakes the structure of the cake itself will dictate whether you have tiers, what sort of icing (if any) you have etc.

I've got a fab recipe for a very sturdy and rich chocolate cake with fresh strawberry and cooked buttercream filling which is suitable for making into a tiered cake, but if you're thinking of having a fully iced cake then you'd need your cake maker to make the cake itself rather than trying to cut costs by supplying the cake yourself.

Hi,

does anyone know any good places that do wedding cakes but dont charge over the top just because its a wedding cake?

Also how much time do places normally need to make it?

Anyone have any ideas or lovely cakes as we are unsure of what type of cake we would like yet.

Thanks

the end price will all depend on what kind of cake you want here are some points to think of when getting prices,

what type of base cake i.e plain or flavoured sponge, chocolate or fruit?

what type of icing i.e frosting, butter cream or royal icing.

decorations i.e flowers (sugar paste, real or silk), spots, ribbons, jewels, stripes, fruit, then how many and where on the cake and in what colors? also what kind of topper.

stacked or seperated tiers or cupcakes and how many tiers.

shape of the cakes?

and regarding time to make the cake depends on the cake itself some cakes hardly take any time to do while others can take weeks or even months.

i advice brides to be to have a look in bridal mags and on the internet at designs they like and then come and see me and we can go from there.

• 2 weeks later...

I can recommend Butterflies and Angels in Bolton-on-Dearne - their cakes look stunning and (equally importantly I think!) taste AMAZING! Each cake is individually designed for you, so they can basically create anything you want. (We get to see our cake a week today, so exciting!)

I do wedding cakes and birthday cakes my speciality is 3d novelty cakes but I also do simple designs too, the best places to look for inspiration is wedding mags and on the internet if ya want to av a look at my work go on to facebook and av a look at customized cakes by jo most but not all of my work is on there and just to let you. Know i don't belive in charging "extra" just. because its a wedding cake if i can help let me know I always ask for the final decisions to be made no later than one week before the date of. delivery/ collection

I can recommend Butterflies and Angels in Bolton-on-Dearne - their cakes look stunning and (equally importantly I think!) taste AMAZING! Each cake is individually designed for you, so they can basically create anything you want. (We get to see our cake a week today, so exciting!)

We view our cake this Friday morning. Abbie is ace, I can deffo reccomend Butterflies and Angels. What flavours you getting? We've decided Cocolate Sour Cherry for the bottom, carrot cake for the next, and then white choc and rasberry for the upper, with a little fruit cake on top just for tradition.

I like the fact that she sells cupcakes at the shop aswell, we were pretty much decided on what flavours to get until the day we went to talk to her about it and I tried the white choc rasberry in the shop.

Can't wait for this weekend...

Archived