Did you go to High Storrs School?

Scousemouse

The records we have currently don't go back very far but there is an organisation of former pupils -The High Storrs Centralians Old Boys and Girls Association. They'll be closely involved in this, and we'll see how we can use the archives they have.

Wommery2

We're planning something for all ages at the Grand Opening it should be a good family day out. I'm sure your great uncle will enjoy it - there will be a chance to look around the classrooms he used, and some photos of former pupils and how the school looked in the past. We're also planning stalls, activities for children and so on (and it will be a free event!)

I'll see if he's up to the trip. I might also see if my father wants to join us for the day - he did part of his teacher training at High Storrs.

I'm starting to look forward to this!

• 3 months later...

Plans for the Grand Opening are going well, with plenty of activities to keep all the family entertained on Saturday, from a vintage cars display to children's activities (pony rides, bouncy castle - weather permitting), ice cream van and refreshments for sale, launch of the commemorative book 'High Storrs The Journey', sale of High Storrs mugs, etc. And of course, tours of the building, speeches from David Blunkett MP, the Chair of Governors and the Headteacher, plus the opportunity to chat to staff past and present. All in all, a fantastic Saturday ahead!!

I shall be attending with one of my school friends (we have still kept in touch) after 33 years!

Although as my daughter goes there I have already seen some of the new building.

I have to say I enjoyed most of my time there in the mid 70's and don't think the behaviour was all that bad then.

I was there in the late 1970s.

Mr Case was our maths teacher, we had Sister Jocelyn riding in via motorbike, to teach physics to us.

Drug abuse was not rife, not at all.

Several badly behaved youths had begun to make the school look bad by then though.

Edited by hello1964

Hi Powerage, looking forward to seeing you and all other attendees on Saturday!

Don't miss out the newly launched book High Storrs School A Journey, on sale at the event for £9.99 cash only - I've already had several members of staff recognising themselves on photos from their school years, different haircuts, etc. Loads of historical photos too dating back to the very beginnings at the Leopold Street premises and as recent as photos from the newly completed refurbishment and rebuild.