Silversmiths - Sheffield's No.1 Restaurant-definitely not

kipper2

Silversmiths-went out for a pre-theatre meal at Silversmiths on Friday. What a mistake that was. Very poor food. Don't order the steak -tough, ful of grissle, thin as boot leather, charcoaled etc. 3 of us went and two ordered the steak off the a-la-carte and one had to go back. It is all window dressing. The food is mediocre at best. Can't imagine how this restaurant got the trip Advisor No.1 Restaurant in Sheffield-they must have really pulled out the stops. It desperately needs Ramsay back!

On a positive note the staff are really nice and tried their best to put things right-not their fault but definitely needs another chef!

kipper2

Silversmiths-went out for a pre-theatre meal at Silversmiths on Friday. What a mistake that was. Very poor food. Don't order the steak -tough, ful of grissle, thin as boot leather, charcoaled etc. 3 of us went and two ordered the steak off the a-la-carte and one had to go back. It is all window dressing. The food is mediocre at best. Can't imagine how this restaurant got the trip Advisor No.1 Restaurant in Sheffield-they must have really pulled out the stops. It desperately needs Ramsay back!

On a positive note the staff are really nice and tried their best to put things right-not their fault but definitely needs another chef!

kipper2

Why? It seemed to have a good enough reputation before Ramsey stuck his oar in. Similarly with The Milestone.

I agree! Went there on saturday. Both me and my partner had fishcake to start with. It consited of 2 small discs of pototo with tiny amount of fish in the middle, encased in greasy batter. The accompanying sauce was tasteless. For mains we both opted for steak and chips-the steak was as tough as leather despite being rare and my 3 chips were soggy and cold. My partner was lucky enough to receive 5 chips-obviously a bit of favouritism there! Service was adequate but not brilliant. A shame too as my first visit to the restaurant 2 years ago was great. We wont be going back.

Grissle and Pototo. Sounds lovely

I say potato and you say pototo...

etc etc

...lets call the whole thing off!

Here's an idea for people posting restaurant reviews - that they include a scan of the receipt - at least that would prove the review is genuine and not another restaurateur badmouthing ...

Any way to implement this Mods?

kipper2

We were in there Friday evening too. We were sat next to the large party of girls, where were you sat?

Anyway, our experience was almost exactly opposite to yours. It was our 1st visit. We all thought the food was excellent, and I had the steak which I really enjoyed with the chunky chips. Our only complaint was the service actually. Whilst it was efficient, except for forgetting a couple of drinks, we felt they were a bit grumpy and unfriendly.

I say potato and you say pototo...

etc etc

...lets call the whole thing off!

Here's an idea for people posting restaurant reviews - that they include a scan of the receipt - at least that would prove the review is genuine and not another restaurateur badmouthing ...

Any way to implement this Mods?

It is a bit suspicious that it's the first and only post from that poster, despite them being registered on SF for almost 4 years :suspect:

I've been 3 times lately for their early bird menu. All 3 times have been really good.

They must be doing something right as they've always been very busy. Maybe you just got them on a bad night, it unfortunately can happen (but shouldn't).

As for service, the owner and his partner have been more than attentive all 3 times. The one and only problem I've had is a long wait for the bill the first time

• 4 months later...

Archived