The Pheasant PH, Sheffield Lane Top

erino

can anyone remember the little houses that stood in the now car park of the pheasant pub at lane top? netx door was Rogers butchers shop and the chip shop nect door to that. My mother used to work in the chip shop and I used to sneak into those houses/cottages they were all empty ready for knocking down - i cant remember the year, can anyone help?

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
did anyone use to go to the pheasant pub at sheffield lane top in the 90s.

No, but my Dad lived in the Magnet, did all his betting out of there......in fact the only decent photo i have of him is outside the Magnet in the 50s.

• 4 years later...

I would guess it dates from around the time of the First World War. It doesn't feature in a 19th century list of coaching inns that I have. It's shown in the 1925 Kelly's Directory (with Robert Rodgers as licensee) but I can't find it in the 1905 directory or the 1911 census return.

I would guess it dates from around the time of the First World War. It doesn't feature in a 19th century list of coaching inns that I have. It's shown in the 1925 Kelly's Directory (with Robert Rodgers as licensee) but I can't find it in the 1905 directory or the 1911 census return.

The Pheasant goes a lot further back hillsbro,

Sheffield History has it listed as far back as 1828.

It is shown in the Kelly's 1854 directory as;

Pheasant Inn, Sheffield Lane top, Ecclesfield, Aaron Ashton.

m&p

Aaron Ashton (1797-1861) appears in the 1851 and 1861 census returns as keeper of the Pheasant at Sheffield Lane Top, with his son Charles Ashton, a "publican and farmer" keeping the Pheasant in 1871 and 1881, but then the entries seem to disappear. And as hillsboro wrote, there seems to be no record of the Pheasant in directories etc. around the turn of the last century. Could there perhaps have been an 'old' Pheasant and a 'new' Pheasant?

Archived