Obama in Ireland

You've had a humour bypass as well as a chip transplant.

No, we're not laughing at the black man, we're laughing at the silly black man.

What's silly about a black man visiting his ethnic roots: Do you have to be a white man like JFK to make a visit to ancestral roots non-silly ? :loopy:

Somehow the humour in this situation seems to have gone right over Harleyman's head. I suppose it's because we're having a bit of a giggle about the American reverence for the office of President, and the requirement for them to have Irish blood otherwise they can't be it. I'm not laughing at President Obama, what tickled me was the song and the fact that he actually has turned out to be Irish descent in the end.

I totally loved Obama's interview with Andrew Marr btw. He's a very restful person, I feel, you can't imagine him going off halfcocked, can you?

What's silly about a black man visiting his ethnic roots: Do you have to be a white man like JFK to make a visit to ancestral roots non-silly ? :loopy:

JFK visiting his ancestral roots was silly as well. US presidents don't visit their Irish roots they are interested in them, they do so to curry favour with voters. If they really were interested in them they would have done so long before they were elected to office.

We are making fun what we see as blatant attempts at electioneering.

No, you just have to be a US President.

(A tip: the loopy smiley is considered to act like a mirror)

Makes a change from an old Etonian numpty and a drunken Scotsman running the UK at which neither incidentally appear to have done a half decent job judging from alll the whines and moans on the forum down the years

I'll take Obama any day

JFK visiting his ancestral roots was silly as well. US presidents don't visit their Irish roots they are interested in them, they do so to curry favour with voters. If they really were interested in them they would have done so long before they were elected to office.

We are making fun what we see as blatant attempts at electioneering.

Obama is scheduled to visit England also. Must be to curry favour with the English community in places like California and Florida :D

What's new about "blatant electioneering attempts anyway"?

How many politicians touting themselves as devout Labourites "friends of the worker, men o' the people" and so on use the same tactic all the while living in great big houses somwhere in Surrey and sending their kids to public schools?

I know all about UK electioneering politics. Seen it all . Americam politics are just a variation of the same tactics

Somehow the humour in this situation seems to have gone right over Harleyman's head. I suppose it's because we're having a bit of a giggle about the American reverence for the office of President, and the requirement for them to have Irish blood otherwise they can't be it. I'm not laughing at President Obama, what tickled me was the song and the fact that he actually has turned out to be Irish descent in the end.

I totally loved Obama's interview with Andrew Marr btw. He's a very restful person, I feel, you can't imagine him going off halfcocked, can you?

Well on Saint Paddy's day he will be known as O'Bama

Eh, after living in Dublin for a bit discovered every fricking American lays claim to being Irish. Was quite embarassing, trying to explain to Irish people why Americans are nuts. Not everyone wants to be a Mc or an O' something. Theres nothing wrong in actually being Irish, but there is something wrong in thinking you are just because of folk lore of the family story.

Though - statistically speaking - I think its one in eight Americans can lay claim to 'some' Irish blood in them.

Im leaving it down to Obama having a bit of fun and tracing his family tree. Hes Irish congrats. I dont think it was to pull any voters from predominate Irish states.

Eh, after living in Dublin for a bit discovered every fricking American lays claim to being Irish. Was quite embarassing, trying to explain to Irish people why Americans are nuts. Not everyone wants to be a Mc or an O' something. Theres nothing wrong in actually being Irish, but there is something wrong in thinking you are just because of folk lore of the family story.

Though - statistically speaking - I think its one in eight Americans can lay claim to 'some' Irish blood in them.

Im leaving it down to Obama having a bit of fun and tracing his family tree. Hes Irish congrats. I dont think it was to pull any voters from predominate Irish states.

I've never heard any American claiming he was Irish if he was actually born in America.

I've heard Americans mention that their parents, grandparents etc were Irish and since unlike England there is no actual thing as an American race with the exception of the indigenous native tribes so then they have to claim that their roots came from somewhere outside ot the country.

Being a nutty yank of sorts I might just be silly and make a trip to St Petersburg, Russia and say hello to my distant cousins on my great grandmothers side even though I'm not running for any political office

Archived