Those little signs that say no parking..

You know the ones, outside people's houses. They say 'no parking, private property' or some such, and I wondered: can they actually put those signs outside their houses?

Surely their drive is fine, but the actual road is public property?

Anyone know the answer?

You can get the council to paint some lines and give you and only you parking access - normally if you are disabled and need the spot... Some streets have residents only parking too, so those who don't live there aren't allowed to park...

You can get the council to paint some lines and give you and only you parking access - normally if you are disabled and need the spot... Some streets have residents only parking too, so those who don't live there aren't allowed to park...

Even the disabled bays painted by the council can not legally be enforced by a parking warden.

From SCC website:

Non-regulatory markings, by their very nature, are only advisory and are not legally enforceable unlike yellow line waiting restrictions. However, they have been found to be successful at most locations where they are installed.

My late mother suffered from MS and relied on my father for getting about. Anyway, he managed to get the council to paint a yellow parking space outside the house but, being on a side road near shops and a school it was often ignored. Once he put up an unofficial sign saying 'Polite Notice, disabled, please keep clear' we rarely had anyone park in the space. I class those who did as selfish and ignorant, something we see far too much of in todays society :roll:

You know the ones, outside people's houses. They say 'no parking, private property' or some such, and I wondered: can they actually put those signs outside their houses?

Surely their drive is fine, but the actual road is public property?

Anyone know the answer?

The sign on my lane means something because it is a private lane.;)

Archived