Are old people bleeding the country dry?

If we paid people to clear litter and chewing gum from the streets I would agree, but round here we don't appear to. The people that are able to work but can't find a job could do a set amount of hours community work to justify their benefits, let’s say someone gets £60 jsa, 10 hours community work wouldn't be asking too much and would leave them with a little pride and time to find work. Some benefit claimants with large families will be in receipt of well over the minimum wage if they worked 40 hours, it would also stop their ability to cheat, work and claim.

You could upset a lot of people and maybe some on here.:D

He does tend to flail around rather doesn't he?
No he doesn't not like you and your sniping one liners Cyclone posted a misleading quote and has done allsorts to weedle his way out of it, but I'm not going to let him.

I don't dislike the idea, but there are questions, for example who supervises the work and who pays for the supervisor?

The bloke that already cleans the streets but doesn't have time to do them all, if he spent is time supervising a gang of road cleaners more roads would be clean, he would still have a job and the people on benefits would have some pride.

Grass cutting is done by one man and a petrol mower, he could supervise a gang with push mowers it would be better for the environment.

Seasonal work, farmers need workers and they usually travel from abroad to do this work, the farmer could ask the benefits office for the workers he needs and he could top their benefits up to meet the minimum wage. He gets cheap labour making his products cheaper for us all; the benefits claimants get some pride and work experience.

The month the country came to a standstill because of snow, the grass cutter can’t cut grass so could supervise gangs with snow shuffles clearing paths around old people’s homes, they could help carry shopping for the disabled and old people.

That’s without trying so I’m sure some overpaid bureaucrat could come up with a system that would work and wouldn’t put those already in work out of work.

the farmer could ask the benefits office for the workers he needs and he could top their benefits up to meet the minimum wage. He gets cheap labour making his products cheaper for us all; the benefits claimants get some pride and work experience.

My bold =As Claude Greengrass would say "And pigs might fly" .have you ever been to these farmers markets? Ask yourself where have they cut out the middles man? the price of their meat is only a tad below supermarket prices. Just ask Dyson who now produces in India where production cost are a fifth of ours why his cleaners haven't dropped in price.

The farmers would do the same as would any employer and do it with the aim for more profit.

Its alright people putting the elderly down but incase you have not realised you will be old one day, and you will think back to this day when the Geordie told you about being old one day. Then you will stop and think I should not of been so harsh against the elderly, and I should of shown them a bit more respect.

ALAN

My bold =As Claude Greengrass would say "And pigs might fly" .have you ever been to these farmers markets? Ask yourself where have they cut out the middles man? the price of their meat is only a tad below supermarket prices. Just ask Dyson who now produces in India where production cost are a fifth of ours why his cleaners haven't dropped in price.

The farmers would do the same as would any employer and do it with the aim for more profit.

And if they did it could be in the contract that they would no longer gain from cheap labour at the tax payer’s expense, its solvable it could be in a contract that any savings they make are passed onto the consumer. Even it wasn't passed on they would make more profit so pay more tax, and the benefits claimants would still benefit from some work experience.

PS why the flying pigs again I thought we had decided they was walking into GAZA.:D

No he doesn't not like you and your sniping one liners Cyclone posted a misleading quote and has done allsorts to weedle his way out of it, but I'm not going to let him.

The only person 'mislead' was you, and that's because you couldn't remember what point you were arguing in favour of from 4 posts before.

It would be impossible to quantify those savings and to prove or disprove whether they were passed on or not. But that's not really the point, if they were already paying the difference between minimum wage and benefits then who cares if they make extra profit.

Of course the problem is that British people don't want to pick fruit, so why not just tell them they have to take the job anyway, instead of keeping them on JSA and letting them refuse to take work that is available!

Archived