Are old people bleeding the country dry?

The pension for a single person should be at least £500, for a couple £1200 per week.

Transport should be supplied any where in the UK by private taxi.

Meals at local cafes and restuarants should be free, for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Pubs or supermarkets should supply drinks to the value of £20 per day.

All accomodation should be free.

Two months holiday per year should br free, any where in thw world.

This could be paid for by increasing taxation on working people, and stopping unemployment benefit.

I fully expect the government to have this in place by May,2016 at the latest.

£46 a week is a disgrace. Don't get me started... but you see the 'it was much better in your day' argument is just a red herring. It wasn't. Some things might have been better but they were cancelled out by a lot of things being worse.

Women's Lib hadn't even started so many (higher paid) jobs were out of bounds for women, and advancement in other jobs was very slow or non-existant. Men often insisted that their wives left work when they married as they didn't want to be seen as not able to provide for them. There were more jobs, but not much choice. A biscuit factory is very much like a cutlery factory, and who wants to go down a coal mine? Health and safety standards were poor and many old people are still paying the price with their health today.

The idea of an ordinary working class girl going to University was very unlikely as they were expected to stay home and mind the babies. And as for boys it was only if you made it to Only Grammer School by passing the 11+ Exam(approx 7%) that you could take advantage of it anyway, and most didn't.

Food choice is far greater today, and many things you take for granted was considered a luxury - chicken for example. Spaghetti was possitively exotic. A far greater proportion of weekly income was spent on food then than today. Central heating was only found in posh newly built houses.

There was a huge waiting list for council houses after the war and most married couples started out living with their parents and desparately trying to save for a mortgage, for which you had to pass the most stringent financial rules. Many didn't. The Housing situation was so bad the charity 'Shelter' was started in the 60s to try and provide homes for homeless families.

Most working class people were married and bringing up a couple of kids by the time they were 25 and that put an end to any spare cash for nights out or pretty much anything else. From then on it was just a slow long hard grind of work to provide for your family. It was considered a huge disgrace to be on the dole and not be able to keep them, and any benefits you might get were meagre.

I could go on... but consider this. Ordinary people should stick together, not be fighting over the scraps.

That was one of the good things about post war life. Nearly every working man belonged to a union, and had a political affiliation. There was a strong sense of comradship and people looked out for each other. If you worked in one of the steel works, there would probably be a canteen and a social club, a football team, darts team, tabletennis, friends, a pint in the pub at lunchtime where the old timers would take the young apprentices under their wing and teach them how to behave like real men, ie with dignity and respect.

Various governments have done a jolly good job of divide and conquer. Now we're all 'middle class' we've started behaving like them. Of course it's wrong to start a hate campaign against the 'unemployed scroungers' when there are no jobs, and resenting money going to old people, but you've been cleverly manipulatedi nto this way of thinking. I can't understand why there is all this bickering about who's getting what, - like I said, fighting over the crumbs while the rich get richer.

It's not about old people bleeding the country dry at the expense of others, but the rich corporations shafting everybody.

Anyone in their 20s today might think that the days of plenty ie the late

1990s and early years of this century were typical of the times older people lived through but they weren't. They were an illusion created by the banks using credit.

Post war people who are now pensioners lived through post war austerity, at least two major recessions, including the miners strike and the closure of Sheffield's major manufacturing industries; the steelworks and the pits, and massive unemployment. It could be argued that Sheffield never really got back on its feet in any meaningful way. The 'Underclass' are a result of that.

Times have been hard for many of them, not the Utopia many people seem to think.

£46 a week is a disgrace. Don't get me started... but you see the 'it was much better in your day' argument is just a red herring. It wasn't. Some things might have been better but they were cancelled out by a lot of things being worse.

Women's Lib hadn't even started so many (higher paid) jobs were out of bounds for women, and advancement in other jobs was very slow or non-existant. Men often insisted that their wives left work when they married as they didn't want to be seen as not able to provide for them. There were more jobs, but not much choice. A biscuit factory is very much like a cutlery factory, and who wants to go down a coal mine? Health and safety standards were poor and many old people are still paying the price with their health today.

The idea of an ordinary working class girl going to University was very unlikely as they were expected to stay home and mind the babies. And as for boys it was only if you made it to Only Grammer School by passing the 11+ Exam(approx 7%) that you could take advantage of it anyway, and most didn't.

Food choice is far greater today, and many things you take for granted was considered a luxury - chicken for example. Spaghetti was possitively exotic. A far greater proportion of weekly income was spent on food then than today. Central heating was only found in posh newly built houses.

There was a huge waiting list for council houses after the war and most married couples started out living with their parents and desparately trying to save for a mortgage, for which you had to pass the most stringent financial rules. Many didn't. The Housing situation was so bad the charity 'Shelter' was started in the 60s to try and provide homes for homeless families.

Most working class people were married and bringing up a couple of kids by the time they were 25 and that put an end to any spare cash for nights out or pretty much anything else. From then on it was just a slow long hard grind of work to provide for your family. It was considered a huge disgrace to be on the dole and not be able to keep them, and any benefits you might get were meagre.

I could go on... but consider this. Ordinary people should stick together, not be fighting over the scraps.

That was one of the good things about post war life. Nearly every working man belonged to a union, and had a political affiliation. There was a strong sense of comradship and people looked out for each other. If you worked in one of the steel works, there would probably be a canteen and a social club, a football team, darts team, tabletennis, friends, a pint in the pub at lunchtime where the old timers would take the young apprentices under their wing and teach them how to behave like real men, ie with dignity and respect.

Various governments have done a jolly good job of divide and conquer. Now we're all 'middle class' we've started behaving like them. Of course it's wrong to start a hate campaign against the 'unemployed scroungers' when there are no jobs, and resenting money going to old people, but you've been cleverly manipulatedi nto this way of thinking. I can't understand why there is all this bickering about who's getting what, - like I said, fighting over the crumbs while the rich get richer.

It's not about old people bleeding the country dry at the expense of others, but the rich corporations shafting everybody.

An excellent description of our life and times back in the fifties, and early 60's.

Well put.

Anyone in their 20s today might think that the days of plenty ie the late

1990s and early years of this century were typical of the times older people lived through but they weren't. They were an illusion created by the banks using credit.

Post war people who are now pensioners lived through post war austerity, at least two major recessions, including the miners strike and the closure of Sheffield's major manufacturing industries; the steelworks and the pits, and massive unemployment. It could be argued that Sheffield never really got back on its feet in any meaningful way. The 'Underclass' are a result of that.

Times have been hard for many of them, not the Utopia many people seem to think.

Just to add a couple of points.

In most families when children left school they were expected to bring a wage into the home and pay their board.

Also it was not accepted to not work. I remember being laid off work one day and when my father came home and saw me sat in front of the fire made it clear I would get myself out the next day going round different firms to get a job. The next day I was knocking on the doors of firms asking if they had any vacancies until I managed to get offered one.

Archived