Are old people bleeding the country dry?

Many old people, even those who have rarely worked are entitled to full sate pension £137.35 per week, plus £250.00 every winter and £10 for every day it is below freezing, along with priority for social housing, full housing benefit for any almost size property, and many other benefits such as free travel, lunch clubs, free prescriptions, priority dental care, TV License and so on...

Yet the average young person is demonized as a no good scrounger, now if they're unfortunate to be unemployed they only receive a fraction of what an old person in same circumstances does, £46.85 per week, no HB unless it's in a shared house which are rarely even suitable for one human, no help with energy costs, no free travel, no free lunch clubs, TV license, prescriptions etc.

now before you start ranting, I'm not saying old people do not deserve this level of income and support, but compared to other age groups and immigrants they do use a lot of resources and receive a very good standard of living.

Will you be in the same frame of mind, when and if you get to be a pensioner yourself

Will you be in the same frame of mind, when and if you get to be a pensioner yourself

The IF is a biggy. Some people have had their effective pension age rise by 12 years in the past three!

Young people today must work longer, and pay more to retire later and on less.

The retirement age is rising so fast that many of them will never retire (and with youth unemployment being so high, it looks like many might never work too)

Just another comment its not the old people who are bleeding this country dry. Its not the young the disabled or jobless. The blame has to be pointed at the greedy bankers the tax dodgers who move their vast wealth to avoid tax. its time we stopped looking to ordinary people and point to those who are truly guilty.

No we worked and paid taxes so that we would have state pension and did expect to have to subsidise everybody else and their kids. BTW the good old days had no state benefits

I'm well aware of that - Which is why I was amused to read so many comments on this forum from people who think life was so, so, much better in the first part of the last century.

My great-grandparents didn't have state pensions or state benefits (and I don't think my grandparents did, either.) My father'S state pension was poor - not enough to live on.

I will draw mine in a few years time (unless the age rises yet again. ;)) I've never trusted the government - any government and although the pension won't decrease numerically, the buying power will probably decrease significantly by the time I get mine.

I suspect that by the time my son reaches pensionable age there won't be a state pension. He will probably have to put money aside throughout his working life to fund his own retirement. The question for him - and others - is how much they are prepared to put aside to fund other people's pensions?

The UK (unlike some other countries) does not have ring-fenced benefit schemes. In such a scheme, the payments into a state pension fund go to that fund, the payments into an unemployment insurance fund go to that fund. Those doing the paying know where the money is going. In the UK, it all goes into one big pot, from which it evaporates.

If each family looks after itself, the members of that family know where the money is going. The family can provide 'cradle to grave' care - should it choose to do so, though it might have to go without a lot of 'luxuries' to do so.

To save the economy in the US the Governemt is going to have the dept of Immigration to start deporting all OAPs instead of Illegals as OAPs are easier to catch and will not remember how to get back home :)

See you on the bus :wave:

I'd better stay away from my weekly game of dominos at the Senior Centre in case the INS suddenly decide to raid the place :hihi:

The IF is a biggy. Some people have had their effective pension age rise by 12 years in the past three!

The retirement age is rising so fast that many of them will never retire (and with youth unemployment being so high, it looks like many might never work too)

My father and mother left school to start work at 14 years old.

My grandfather left school at 12 years old and finished work in a manual job at 80 years old.

So who has had their retirement age raised by 12 years ?

I can only assume they were going to be retiring too early in the first place, if that is the case.

Young people tend to start working at a later age than the current pensioners did and are expected to live longer.

If people have to work longer before taking their pensions then that would deal with your issues regarding old people taking out more than they have put in, so what's your problem :huh:

So who has had their retirement age raised by 12 years ?

I can only assume they were going to be retiring too early in the first place, if that is the case.

Young people tend to start working at a later age than the current pensioners did and are expected to live longer.

If people have to work longer before taking their pensions then that would deal with your issues regarding old people taking out more than they have put in, so what's your problem :huh:

Men under 25 on median to low income.

Pension credit could be claimed at 60 a couple of years ago. Now they are looking at retiring at 72. They could never save up for a pension decent enough to break free of state pension credit.

Assuming pension credit is still around by then.

The sort of work many did in the past would kill today's younger generation; working 12 hour shifts in a steelworks, fabrication plant, or down a coalpit.

They really have no idea how tough it was. I can't think of anything to compare with it today.

Archived