Are old people bleeding the country dry?

my husband is 70 and i am 60 ive worked all my life so has my husband .

no children i am now having to work until i am 63 to get my state pension,

which is all my husband gets ,the only extra benifits my husband gets is free eye tests. i only work part time to help pay the bills we pay full rent full council tax ,the money what we get is what we have paid in .what the government dont seem to understand is that if they had left the retirement age at 60 they would be more jobs for the unemployed !

My dad has worked from the age of 14 did two years in the army and never been out of work. My mother worked all her life and brought up kids, she is no longer with us but my dad worked up to the age of 80 was still paying tax. He gets no benefits except for the free tv licence.

The young ones of today (not all) want to do nothig but draw their dole or whatever it's called and breed to get even more money. The ones on JS should be made to do anything for their benefit clean streets, do old people's gardens or whatever else needs doing for the community IMHO

what the government dont seem to understand is that if they had left the retirement age at 60 they would be more jobs for the unemployed !

This is not true.

What employers tend to do when older people leave is to reduce staff numbers and share the work around amongst the people still employed.

So an older person leaving work doesn't necessarily create a job for anyone else.

Governments want people to look after themselves, eat healthily, exercise, live longer ... Then they start moaning about pensions. Typical !!

No.

Governments want people to take responsibility for their own lives, and not expect to be bailed out when the result of their self imposed lifestyle makes them ill, or their profligate lifestyle means they can't support themselves in their old age.

No.

Governments want people to take responsibility for their own lives, and not expect to be bailed out when the result of their self imposed lifestyle makes them ill, or their profligate lifestyle means they can't support themselves in their old age.

But if the government takes the vast majority of their income in taxes how can they expect them to put enough by for old age? The average worker now works well into June before they get to keep their own income.

But if the government takes the vast majority of their income in taxes how can they expect them to put enough by for old age? The average worker now works well into June before they get to keep their own income.

So what are you saying?

That the government shouldn't take tax from us and we should all pay for our infrastructure locally?

So what are you saying?

That the government shouldn't take tax from us and we should all pay for our infrastructure locally?

Most of the infrastructure has been in place for many decades although, of course, it requires maintaining. What I am saying is that the government extorts far too much of our money from us to give to unworthy causes . They should let us keep our own money and donate on a voluntary basis to people "in need".

Archived