Help Was it really a goal!!

This is not sour grapes. But i was thinking about England and our world cup disasters over the years and in particular something that has always bothered me. In the 1986 world cup when we played the Argies in the quater final. Maradonna did his hand of god trick and then according to all the experts he scored the wonder goal where he dribbled past about 6 players and flicked it over Shilton. My point is i have always said that he did'nt really score the goal Butcher was the last man to tackle him and i am sure that Butch got the last touch flicking the ball away from Diego and past Shilts making it a own goal which means Maradonna did'nt really score any in the match let alone 2. Please somebody agree with me my mates are bored solid listening to me go on about it. If i get no supporters on the forum i will admit defeat.

For years I was of the same opinion as you Hobb. I was convinced it was a Terry Butcher own goal.

Then I saw a film clip of the goal that was shot from a different angle and sad to say it was definitely the little git's goal, making it one of the best ever scored.

• 3 weeks later...
Yep - here I am hard at work in a 1950 photo..:)

I quite agree that Maradona shouldn't have been credited with either goal in that match. The archive footage can be seen

Got to take issue with you there Hilly. In the old VHS days I taped the goal and when you slowed down the bit filmed from behind the goal you could see it was Maradona's goal. He stroked it past Shilton with hardly any back lift. As I said in my post, up until then I had thought it was a Terry Butcher own goal.

Incidentally, when Shilton appealed the 'hand of God' goal, at the time I thought he was asking for offside and I'm still not convinced it wasn't.

Great photo of the budding cobbler. We had a hobbing foot too in the fifties and many years before I suppose.

Well, it's a long time since I saw film of these goals but I do recall seeing Maradona's second goal shot from more than one angle, and I'm not 100% convinced he scored it (can you find us the "other" footage, hillsboro?!) But football wouldn't be the same if we all agreed about everything..:) The "hand of God" goal certainly shouldn't have been allowed, and I think we can agree that the full-time result should have been a draw. At least we are better losers than the Germans, who almost half a century after the 1966 World Cup final still meckern (that's German for "to bleat".;)) about England's third goal - even though the result was clear-cut at 4-2.

Once at a car boot sale I showed my 6 year-old granddaughter a hobbing foot on a stall and asked her if she knew what it was. "Of course I know what it is - it's a door stop" she replied..:hihi:

Archived