How much is a wedding meant to cost?

Can someone tell me roughly how much a wedding is ment to cost?

Well if you count my divorce (costs still ongoing) I'd say a bloody fortune.

Seriously though there is no hard and fast rule. You can spend as little or as much as you want. Just remember what really matters is the fact that you are getting married, everything else is relatively insignificant to that bit.

Isn't the average something like £20000? I think mine was around £3000. I’m trying to think what else I could have had to make it up to the remaining £17000?

I would think that the biggest expense is the venue, especially if you have a lot of guests and a fancy hotel. But you can also spend a lot on a dress and wedding photographers. I suppose you can spend a lot on any part of a wedding if you want to! I agree with the advice that you should just pick what is most important to you.

The really important thing to remember is that the wedding is only one day, whereas the marriage will (hopefully) be a lifelong thing and it would be a hardship to your marriage to start in dreadful debt as a result of the wedding.

It's only one day. It would be a lovely day if you got married in a nice suit at the town hall and then went to a restaurant with your friends and family for lunch to celebrate, so there is no 'need' to put a millstone around your necks with the cost really.

If I was to do it all again I wouldn't go to half of the stress or expense that we went to the first time around, and most of that is not because I've already done it once, it's because it's taken so long to pay for it and it took so many months of my life to organise and stress about it that I just no longer see the point of that level of stress for just one day.

It's the marriage that matters, not the wedding.

We spent a fortune on my dress, but we cut out the wedding cars by getting married in the venue we were staying in already, skipped the video and spent more on a really good photographer, and found a hotel under refurbishment so we could haggle strongly on the price for the whole chabang (including room rates for guests)

The florist annoyed me so we ditched the centrepieces for the tables and had Thorntons easter bunnies and continentals instead (cutting the cost of wedding favours)

As for decorating the staircase between the ceremony and the meal ( :loopy: ), chair covers ( :confused: ), balloon arches etc - blatant waste of money

We saved on bridesmaid outfits by taking the bridesmaids to pick their own outfits in late November from the Christmas party ranges on the high street. We both won that way - it was cheaper for us, plus they got an outfit they'd be happy to make use of again

We got a fantastic wedding deal but now we are having to add extras which is boosting it up not to mention the fact of my dress was waaaaay over what I expected but it is all worth it :)

Oh dear, are they just wedding extras in general or extras at the hotel?

So far I have bought my dress, 3 x flowergirl dresses, table confetti, favour bags, balloons, my wedding jewellery and OH's suit and shoes (not including waistcoat/cravat). I have booked (and almost paid for) the Honeymoon altho I won't include that in overall wedding costs as it's just a family holiday really. I have also bought a guestbook and ring cushion, and our wedding rings. I haven't actually paid for the main stuff yet but that's good as, as you know I am doing the deal offered on here. After that I will have the £66 fees for giving notice to marry and then £230 ish (?) registrar fees on top of that. Add to that extra £ for extra guests for the evening, chair decoration, a cake, my shoes, flowergirls shoes, OH's cravat and waistcoat, my hair, eldests hair, photos, car decoration (mates car), make up (buying my own), nails, fake tax, waxing (eek!!!), as well as paying towards the cost of a minibus for a few guests that are booked into a hotel miles away, and buying some sweets for the kids, favour fillings, oh my invites!!! ARGH! It really does all add up... I budgeted for about £1000- £1500 and I would say that it's deffo going to hit £1500 or a couple of hundred over, despite doing everything on the cheap (IE eBay dresses, other eBay bits, Burton suit 'deal' for OH etc).

I think it depends what you want and who you want there really x

Miss S you are well on your way. You have done more than me. ive got venue, tried to list people for sit down evening etc. Got invites, My dress (well it being made paid deposit) got half of stuff for my centre pieces. Going for fabric at weekend for my bridesmaid dresses (they are being made by a family member for me) and I think thats all I have done. I have my car for bridesmaids (someone else to drive it) I need alsorts oh gosh

Archived