How much is a wedding meant to cost?

If the stats are to be believed the average is up around 20k these days, but who knows how they compile those numbers.

The biggest cost is normally the venue and meal, and that largely depends on how many people you want to invite. A hundred people at £40/head is immediately more than some people want or can afford to spend.

The 'average' is said to be £15-20,000

I see where it comes from, as a lot of people use hotels and I've had quotes of £5000 just for the reception in hotels in town.

I'd assume the 'average' price includes honeymoons, and a lot of people opt for very expensive honeymoons in Florida, or Cuba for example.

Mines costing about £2000, and thats with me doing some serious bargain hunting for most of the accessories, and its paying off quite well. Church is costing me £470, and reception is £999, rest I'm serious scrimping on, but I'm a tight git anyway!

The 'average' is said to be £15-20,000

I see where it comes from, as a lot of people use hotels and I've had quotes of £5000 just for the reception in hotels in town.

I'd assume the 'average' price includes honeymoons, and a lot of people opt for very expensive honeymoons in Florida, or Cuba for example.

Mines costing about £2000, and thats with me doing some serious bargain hunting for most of the accessories, and its paying off quite well. Church is costing me £470, and reception is £999, rest I'm serious scrimping on, but I'm a tight git anyway!

I'm right with ya on the scrimping .... including honeymoon we're at less than £2,000 and don't intend to go over that.

To me it's not about how much it cost, but that we enjoy the day and not get in debt.

I've been taking sewing classes to help with making some items to save money there too .... it can be done, with class without costing the earth :)

I'm right with ya on the scrimping .... including honeymoon we're at less than £2,000 and don't intend to go over that.

To me it's not about how much it cost, but that we enjoy the day and not get in debt.

I've been taking sewing classes to help with making some items to save money there too .... it can be done, with class without costing the earth :)

I was meant to get married on 11.11.11 and was planning 2 weeks all inclusive in Tunisia, which was £468 for us both, taking total over no more than £2500

HOWEVER I'm pregnant, and due date is 28.10.11 (I did say from the minute we started planning that it would happen... I fully expect to be 2 weeks late and give birth on 11.11.11) So now wedding is on 10.3.12... and due to new arrival, we won't be having a honeymoon, but I don't mind :)

I was meant to get married on 11.11.11 and was planning 2 weeks all inclusive in Tunisia, which was £468 for us both, taking total over no more than £2500

HOWEVER I'm pregnant, and due date is 28.10.11 (I did say from the minute we started planning that it would happen... I fully expect to be 2 weeks late and give birth on 11.11.11) So now wedding is on 10.3.12... and due to new arrival, we won't be having a honeymoon, but I don't mind :)

Firstly, congratulations :D

I too toyed with the idea of 11.11.11. but didn't go with it. I thought I had gotten a great deal for our honeymoon, but you've blown my deal outta the water LOL

Do you legally require the £80 certificate?

The "certificate" bit is £120 for the registry office and £20 to reserve your appointment so that would be the minimum really for a legal marriage.

Other than that the rest is set dressing or to make the party go with a swing. We are having 100 guests and feeding and watering them all is by far the biggest expense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

our wedding is later this year.

we haven't got loads to spend on a wedding.

we cut costs like not having a 3 course meal... 3 grand to feed everyone we dint see the point. and also favours... my family won't be bothered if they dont get 5 mints in a box??

ebay comes in handy for alot of things.

and the venue which is at handsworth is really cheap... we stayed clear of the expensive hotels in central Sheffield they a rip off...

the cars which are Chrysler 300c really nice cars are by a taxi company strange enough which cost us 50 quid bargain!!!

then my dress which was worth well over a grand cost £100... due to 2 lovely ladies who bought samples from shops. great condition. so far doing really well on costs.

just cut what isn't important and what u wont miss...

our wedding is later this year.

we haven't got loads to spend on a wedding.

we cut costs like not having a 3 course meal... 3 grand to feed everyone we dint see the point. and also favours... my family won't be bothered if they dont get 5 mints in a box??

ebay comes in handy for alot of things.

and the venue which is at handsworth is really cheap... we stayed clear of the expensive hotels in central Sheffield they a rip off...

the cars which are Chrysler 300c really nice cars are by a taxi company strange enough which cost us 50 quid bargain!!!

then my dress which was worth well over a grand cost £100... due to 2 lovely ladies who bought samples from shops. great condition. so far doing really well on costs.

just cut what isn't important and what u wont miss...

Oh you sound like me :hihi:

I am having favours though, but am making them myself, and to make the 100 of them, will cost no more than £5 (scrolls with a poem in an organza bag)

I'm also using ebay to get most things, a lot of the accessories such as flowers and rose petals etc etc from China, as they are the same as the UK sellers, just half the price.

Archived