Free travel for volunteers?

Why haven't the coalition government announced free travel for volunteers?

It wouldn't be hard to administer! Many people already travel for free.

And if it leads to people doing volunteer work in order to use public transport society still wins.

I know many organizations reimburse volunteers' travel costs, but surely this is something the state should offer, passes could be issued very easily, as we already offer free travel to OAPs, the disabled, their carers and in some boroughs, children of varying age ranges also.

How much would it cost to monitor? (Thinking chiefly of someone volunteering for one week, receiving their pass and then never doing any more volunteer work...)

Weekly/fortnightly pass from job shop, or a ticket for a pass. Followed by a check of the employer and work, if unknown to the system.

Collect pass, instead of signing on, job shop ring your vetted employer instead of you signing on, to re-issue pass/ticket.

Done, minimal cost, using current services.

I do a lot of voluntary work, but in the community as opposed to for an employer - how would that be monitored?

I do some voluntary work. When I go to meetings I can use my pass on the tram and it costs nothing. However, people who have to pay get reimbursed if they bring their bus/tram tickets. Those who are unable to manage on public transport can request a lift or a taxi will be arranged. Many organisations who use volunteers will pay travel expenses.

I do some voluntary work. When I go to meetings I can use my pass on the tram and it costs nothing. However, people who have to pay get reimbursed if they bring their bus/tram tickets. Those who are unable to manage on public transport can request a lift or a taxi will be arranged. Many organisations who use volunteers will pay travel expenses.

Do you think it might be more efficient, cheaper and fairer to offer people passes, rather than to reimburse?

Bus tickets get lost, but buses are far cheaper than taxis, and weekly, monthly passes can be issued by post/internet/phone/in person etc., even for trams/bus and trains over boroughs.

Archived