Car insurance - new laws

y does the car have to be sorned tho if it is still got tax on it and still has mot but no insurance due to it being a project offroad at the moment

Why would it be taxed in those circumstances?

it doesn't ... the law states "in/on a public place" if it is on private land off any public highway or public place then you wont need insurance unless it is moved & has to go onto or cross a public area

Sorry I got it wrong. If a car is SORN'd then it DOESN'T need to be insured but if it is temporarily off the road UNLESS it is SORN'd then it DOES have to be insured.

So if it is taxed and MOT'd then it HAS to be insured!

Don't know how to do links sorry otherwise would put the appropriate new law link on!!!:)

basically ... if it is on or in any area where the general public has access , it needs insurance , if it is locked up in a garage on your drive or other private land you wont need insurance whether its taxed/tested/SORN'd or not

Could you be breaking the law?

If you're not using your vehicle, you should make a SORN. If you are using it, it must be insured.

The change in the law means that you won't be able to temporarily take a vehicle off the road and cancel your insurance, unless you make the vehicle SORN at the same time.

If you're not using your vehicle, you should make a SORN. If you are using it, it must be insured.

The above is taken from the Government's website pages. As previsouly mentioned sorry I can't put on the appropriate link as I don't know how to do it!

basically ... if it is on or in any area where the general public has access , it needs insurance , if it is locked up in a garage on your drive or other private land you wont need insurance whether its taxed/tested/SORN'd or not

I beg to differ, the way I read the law, ANY motor parked anywhere unless under a sorn has to be insured. I think it will be unenforceable anyway.

Regards

Angel.

Archived