Car insurance - new laws

example , if your car breaks down the day before your current insurance runs out & you have it towed onto your own drive or any private land that you have permission to use (lets assume the car has 5 months tax &test still on it)

if you cannot afford to do the repairs straight away & need to save up for a couple of weeks to pay for the repairs , it would not need to be SORN'd or insured until such a time as it was used in or on a public place again (this would include if the garage was accross the road from where it was being stored)

IE it would need to be re-insured to move it to the garage if it had to cross a place where the public have access

example , if your car breaks down the day before your current insurance runs out & you have it towed onto your own drive or any private land that you have permission to use (lets assume the car has 5 months tax &test still on it)

if you cannot afford to do the repairs straight away & need to save up for a couple of weeks to pay for the repairs , it would not need to be SORN'd or insured until such a time as it was used in or on a public place again (this would include if the garage was accross the road from where it was being stored)

IE it would need to be re-insured to move it to the garage if it had to cross a place where the public have access

This seems at odds with the information on the Government web pages where they distinctly state that a car has to be insured or SORN'd!

This seems at odds with the information on the Government web pages where they distinctly state that a car has to be insured or SORN'd!

why would you need insurance if it is strictly off road on private land where public have NO right of access , if the example stated occurred why would you or i need to pay insurance needlessly if the car was not going to go on any place that the public have access ... there are 2 ways of looking at it :-

1, yes it would be advisable to have it insured incase an electrical fault occurred & it caught fire whist being stored or repaired etc

2,as for necessity of law , you would not need it if stored offroad on strictly private land eg your own drive/garage

if it was on private land & uninsured (T&T or not) , how could they legally clamp it or tow it away to be crushed ?

would that not bring such laws as trespass into the equation ?

why would you need insurance if it is strictly off road on private land where public have NO right of access...

Without knowing what the law is, I just want to point out that the public having no right of access doesn't mean the public can't get injured by your car. Question: would the courts allow a lawsuit for damages from a trespasser who was so injured?

why would you need insurance if it is strictly off road on private land where public have NO right of access , if the example stated occurred why would you or i need to pay insurance needlessly if the car was not going to go on any place that the public have access ... there are 2 ways of looking at it :-

1, yes it would be advisable to have it insured incase an electrical fault occurred & it caught fire whist being stored or repaired etc

2,as for necessity of law , you would not need it if stored offroad on strictly private land eg your own drive/garage

This would answer my question but for the obvious doubt in your own knowledge! :huh:

As I have mentioned in my previous posts I have taken the information directly from the Government web pages stating what the new law is and the way I have read it (although I could be misinterpreting it) is if it the vehicle is SORN'd then it doesn't need to be insured but if it is taxed then it DOES have to be insured and if it isn't then the owner is liable to a fine, the car being impounded or even crushed.

There is no mention about it being on private or public land as to whether or not it needs to be insured.

There are just two rules - SORN'd and uninsured; taxed and insured! - NO EXCEPTIONS!

This new law comes into effect at the end of June 2011.

if it was on private land & uninsured (T&T or not) , how could they legally clamp it or tow it away to be crushed ?

would that not bring such laws as trespass into the equation ?

The police don't need right of access granted by a landowner in order to carry out police duties. Otherwise they couldn't have dawn raids and such like.

It might necessitate a warrant. I don't know exactly how it works. And depending on what the answer to this SORN question actually is, it might be irrelevant!

Archived