Car insurance - new laws

Where did you get that quote from?

I think its a fairly simple thing. I used to have two cars, one of them had tax at £35 a year. When I stopped driving it I didn't bother SORNing it just in case I needed to use it if my main car broke, and anyway it wasn't worth cashing in the tax disc just for £35.

The problem was that I could just nip out in it without insurance - ANPR cameras wouldn't do much because it was taxed. Or I could lend it to a mate, assuming they had insurance. If they didn't and got caught, they'd get done. The new system should ensure that I would be punished for lending him the car.

You could only do that until the tax ran out and then you would have to insure it to re-tax it but it's not big and it's not clever. Other peoples insurance goes up because of people like you. And how would you feel if you hit someone and wrote their car off, injured them or worse still knocked a child down. And don't think it can't happen to you.

im not 100% sure, but i think the following applies..

if your vehicle is parked in public, i.e on the road, it must be insured, wether you drive it or not.

sorn if a different matter, you have a vehicle, regardless of where its parked, declare it off road or pay tax.

So if you have a vehicle on private land, that still has tax but no insurance, then no worries

No, thats the old/current setup. After June, any car will have to be insured no matter where you park it, unless it is declared off road.

I don't think the new system will make any difference to the people who already drive illegally. If they're prepared to drive without insurance, then tax, MOT and licence etc. will probably not matter to them either.

You could only do that until the tax ran out and then you would have to insure it to re-tax it but it's not big and it's not clever. Other peoples insurance goes up because of people like you. And how would you feel if you hit someone and wrote their car off, injured them or worse still knocked a child down. And don't think it can't happen to you.

What do you mean "people like me"?

I think you've misunderstood my post, the situations were hypothetical. I've never driven uninsured and never loaned my cars to anyone.

The only time I needed to use the uninsured £35 tax car was for the MOT and I went to insurebyday.com and got 2 days cover for £18.

What do you mean "people like me"?

I think you've misunderstood my post, the situations were hypothetical. I've never driven uninsured and never loaned my cars to anyone.

The only time I needed to use the uninsured £35 tax car was for the MOT and I went to insurebyday.com and got 2 days cover for £18.

Oh, my apologies then. Maybe I should put my brain in gear before I put my mouth in motion:blush:

The following are extracts from letter sent by DVLA to me regarding my car being SORN

Warning

This vehicle must not be used or kept on a public road while your SORN is in force. If you do, you may have to pay a £5000 fine and may even be sent to prison.

Garages, driveways and private land may be cosidered to be off road areas. Contact your local authority for more advice on off-road areas.

Further information

Your SORN is due to end on ------- If you are going to keep the vehicle off the public road beyond this date you must renew it. If you use or keep the vehicle on a public road you must tax it.

If you want to use or keep the vehicle on a public road before your SORN runs out you will need to tax it.

Funny there is no mention in the letter about insuring the car the only seem bothered about taxing it!!

P.S. Letter received today

store the car on your drive or private land, remove the registration plates....leave it taxed , tetsed and uninsured??? that ok?

No.

How difficult is it understand that if you have not SORNed your vehicle then you MUST insure it.

Removing the plates will not sorn it, it will not stop you being fined.

The following are extracts from letter sent by DVLA to me regarding my car being SORN

Warning

This vehicle must not be used or kept on a public road while your SORN is in force. If you do, you may have to pay a £5000 fine and may even be sent to prison.

Garages, driveways and private land may be cosidered to be off road areas. Contact your local authority for more advice on off-road areas.

Further information

Your SORN is due to end on ------- If you are going to keep the vehicle off the public road beyond this date you must renew it. If you use or keep the vehicle on a public road you must tax it.

If you want to use or keep the vehicle on a public road before your SORN runs out you will need to tax it.

Funny there is no mention in the letter about insuring the car the only seem bothered about taxing it!!

P.S. Letter received today

See how far you get trying to tax it without first insuring it. :roll:

Archived