Vickers Chemists/Photographic

Does anyone remember Vickers Chemists next to Littlewoods at Attercliffe.

Owned be Fred Vickers. His brother John worked on the photographic side as well. Roy Wildsmith managed the photographic shop in its later years having previously worked for Banners and Senior Electronics on Staniforth Road. Circa 1960's.

I remember it well. I used to work for Fred in the 1960's in the photgraphic department along with John Vickers. Fred worked in the dispensary with Lily, his wife. Lily's father, Percy worked as a general assistant. I recall that the "chemist staff include Ann ?, and Lynn ?. Fred later bought another shop and Len Bradwell stepped in at Attercliffe Road as pharmacist. They were good days - lots of laughs. The photographic dept was very small but turned over a phenomenal amount of stock.

I also spent some of my holidays and Saturdays working for Fred. His brother John was working for him part time during my time as well. I used to assist him on stocktakes and set up a Rotodek card system for him.

Archived