Pushy Christians!!

With churches closing down or struggling to maintain their upkeep, you would think that the Christian community would be pleased when a family wants to get their child christened, what ever the reason!

We are just about to christen our son. Not because we are religious but because we have a family tradition, which probably started due to religion.

I've never been through such an ordeal!! The vicar made us go to a Sunday service (fair enough), then a few weeks after they made all the families go to an evening at church where we had to watch a DVD about Christianity and how a God Parent is supposed to teach the newly christened child about Jesus and the Christian faith. Then, to top it off, we had to go to a rehearsal. The rehearsal was by far the worst part. The vicar was pushy with the young ones amongst us, she was like a old fashioned school teacher, asking us questions about Christianity and the role of a God Parent. I was on the verge of getting up and calling the whole thing off!

If anything, this has made my lack of faith even stronger. Do these people want our business or are they happier seeing their church rot into the ground?!

With churches closing down or struggling to maintain their upkeep, you would think that the Christian community would be pleased when a family wants to get their child christened, what ever the reason!

We are just about to christen our son. Not because we are religious but because we have a family tradition, which probably started due to religion.

I've never been through such an ordeal!! The vicar made us go to a Sunday service (fair enough), then a few weeks after they made all the families go to an evening at church where we had to watch a DVD about Christianity and how a God Parent is supposed to teach the newly christened child about Jesus and the Christian faith. Then, to top it off, we had to go to a rehearsal. The rehearsal was by far the worst part. The vicar was pushy with the young ones amongst us, she was like a old fashioned school teacher, asking us questions about Christianity and the role of a God Parent. I was on the verge of getting up and calling the whole thing off!

If anything, this has made my lack of faith even stronger. Do these people want our business or are they happier seeing their church rot into the ground?!

Then why have a christening? I understand why Christians would want to make sure the people using the service are actually going to do as the Christians want. Frankly I find it hypocritical, why have the child christened if you don't want to follow the rules? Not just you though, every muppet who has a christening when actually not believing in the very thing they're meant to be adopting.

So you want the child christened, but you're annoyed when they mention Christ?

Did I say that?? Sorry if it came across like that.

What I meant to say was I didn't like the way she was talking to us, giving us the 3rd degree. She was talking to my younger brother and sister like they have never been talked too before. It's a good job my dad wasn't there!

Totally pointless procedure if your not a christian surely?

I'm not religious in the slightest but Id be pretty <REMOVED> off if someone was using religion I believed in, just for the sake of it.

So you think that everyone that gets their child christened is religious??

Then why have a christening? I understand why Christians would want to make sure the people using the service are actually going to do as the Christians want. Frankly I find it hypocritical, why have the child christened if you don't want to follow the rules? Not just you though, every muppet who has a christening when actually not believing in the very thing they're meant to be adopting.

I disagree, I think Christians should be more tolerant and welcome people with open arms who want to use their facilities.

What I meant to say was I didn't like the way she was talking to us, giving us the 3rd degree. She was talking to my younger brother and sister like they have never been talked too before. It's a good job my dad wasn't there!

The problem with religion is that it isn't a consumable, you aren't purchasing a service. You can still stand up and say "don't talk to me like that" though. :)

When I got married, I told the vicar straight out, I was just hiring his building and didn't believe in God. He was cool with that.

Aye. I want to get married in a church, even though I'm not religious and never will be.

So I suppose there's little wrong in doing the same for a christening.

Archived