Pushy Christians!!

Except making it clear you have no regard for other people's beliefs?

That your own 'needs' for a photo are far more important than anyone else's beliefs regardless how strong those beliefs are?

Show everyone you feel it is ok to ridicule others beliefs whilst partaking in a ceremony built from those beliefs you are ridiculing?

Showing everyone that you (whoever) doesn't see a problem lying to/in front of those closest to him?

No, you're right. No harm done at all, except to insult the person performing the ceremony and to reveal yourself to your friends/family to be a selfish/dishonest/thoughtless person?

Exactly. Glad you agree. The Vicar has agreed to perfom the ceremony, so obviously the Vicar is not harmed. Otherwise she could just say no.

I'm sure his family knows what he is like regardless of the christening. Fair enough if in your case you are saying your family do not know what you are like. I'm sorry to hear that. I guess some families are closers than others.

What a load of petty people there are on this forum., the response to this thread has truly surprised me. It's your child bonzo, if you want to have him christened and can find a church that will do it despite your lack of belief then go ahead, ignore all the haters.

Bonzo started out complaining that the vicar was being pushing about Christianity while he was trying to organise a Christening. Of course the vicar is going to talk about God, it's her job.

It's not about being a 'hater' but having some empathy for believers when someone who is making a mockery of an event that is significant in their belief system complains that a religious leader would dare talk about Christianity in the preparations.

...Fair enough if in your case you are saying your family do not know what you are like. I'm sorry to hear that. I guess some families are closers than others.

That's not what I'm saying at all. Please re-read my post.

I am honest with family, they know I am not a believer. Which is why I make a point of not taking part in ceremonies where I would be declaring myself a believer and so lying to family.

Exactly. Glad you agree. The Vicar has agreed to perfom the ceremony, so obviously the Vicar is not harmed. Otherwise she could just say no.

I'm sure his family knows what he is like regardless of the christening. Fair enough if in your case you are saying your family do not know what you are like. I'm sorry to hear that. I guess some families are closers than others.

The vicar only agreed because she thinks he's a christian as he went to church services just to get some photos of his child in christening gown. That shows a very shallow personality with no respect or morals and indeed by one of posts downright antagonism towards church

That's not what I'm saying at all. Please re-read my post.

I am honest with family, they know I am not a believer. Which is why I make a point of not taking part in ceremonies where I would be declaring myself a believer and so lying to family.

You stated that a person doing this would be 'revealing themselves to their friends/family to be a selfish/dishonest/thoughtless person'.

Personally, my family and friends know exactly the type of person I am. No event will change that.

Bonzo started out complaining that the vicar was being pushing about Christianity while he was trying to organise a Christening. Of course the vicar is going to talk about God, it's her job.

It's not about being a 'hater' but having some empathy for believers when someone who is making a mockery of an event that is significant in their belief system complains that a religious leader would dare talk about Christianity in the preparations.

Well no you went a little further than that. I agree that its silly of him to complain about those things, the 'ignore the haters' comment was made with regards to things like your final rhetorical question in post 126, which seems to me rather hateful, you couldn't even decide which insult you wanted to give him, so you went with three different ones!

The vicar only agreed because she thinks he's a christian as he went to church services just to get some photos of his child in christening down. That shows a very shallow personality with no respect or morals and indeed by one of posts downright antagonism towards church

If that's the case, I agree with that, if he has been honest with the Vicar then there would/should be no problem in having the christening, but not under a false pretence.

Has it not hit home yet?? I'm only doing it so it looks right on the photos. I don't give a tom tit what the Christian community thinks.

Thousands of people get their children christened who aren't religious.

Oh and for the record, the drunk old vicar never once asked us whether we were Christians or anything about our faith.

Well done Bonzo77...the troll thread of the month should be awarded to YOU. :hihi::hihi:

Seems like you don't give a torn tit about anything...including the spiritual welfare of your own child.....by hey you will have some pictures to look back on. :loopy:

I've never understood people who raise their child in a religion. Its not giving the poor kid any chance to make up their own mind as they've already been conditioned into believing one thing or another.

It denies them the freedom of thought and is in as many words "brainwashing"

I am not happy with this

Children have every chance to walk away when they're old enough to think for themselves and they do. In the meantime of course a parent will bring up a child to believe in what they believe in - what else do you expect them to do? I went in the opposite direction - I found the church for myself as my parents weren't particularly religious. My teenage daughter has already been church-no church-back to church while she works things out for herself. I can't pretend I wouldn't be sad if she finally decided against it but that will be her decision.

You stated that a person doing this would be 'revealing themselves to their friends/family to be a selfish/dishonest/thoughtless person'.

Ok, I assumed he is generally not seen as that already.

Archived