Pushy Christians!!

That seems rather unlikely, compulsory Xian worship in schools for example has been mentioned many times here in threads about religion many of them involving those laying into Bonzo77 without attracting anything like the invective aimed at him.

In fact a quick search shows that some of those laying into Bonzo such as irenewild and julado attempted to make light of the compulsory act of insincerity school children are forced to go through daily.

This is what DaFoot one of the most enthusiastic critics of Bonzo has to say about daily compulsory worship:

So according to the likes of DaFoot, Julado & irenewild Bonzo is a "A shallow, stupid liar" a "hypocrite" "delusional" and even "one of the worst ROLE, that's ROLE models as a parent I've ever come across" ... for continuing a family tradition at which the child in question won't even be developed enough to comprehend or remember.

Yet it apparently "it doesn't do any harm" for children to be forced to sit through daily acts of insincerity when they're actually old enough to be aware of them and anyone who objects to this and attempts to limit their child's forced & therefore insincere participation in such worship are over reacting "very much".

There certainly is a good deal of hypocrisy in this thread yet ironically it's coming from those who have spent post after post accusing Bonzo of just that.

Thank you! Very good post.

The whole point is that there was no need for Bonzo77 to start the thread by saying that he was going to have his child christened then immediately adding that there was no God and that religion in general is a load of crap or in so many words implying as such.

Let atheists and believers live in harmony and tolerance respecting each other's views.

If Bonzo was in fact the target of hate which i dont believe he was other than setting himself up for criticism and a fair amount of ridicule for his "one foot in God's house and one foot in atheism" stance then that was par for the course on a public forum

There certainly is a good deal of hypocrisy in this thread yet ironically it's coming from those who have spent post after post accusing Bonzo of just that.

Thankyou for mis-quoting me from another entirely unrelated thread Plekhanov. You should write for a tabloid paper.

As you have, let me address your accusation of hypocrisy you level at me based on my comments in the other thread (about children quietly not partaking in religious parts of school things) and this one (an atheist organizing a religious ceremony).

In short - kids have to be at school. If the school has "religious" parts to their day then I see no reason they shouldn't just quietly ignore the parts they don't want to partake in. However they have to be in the room and under supervision, we can't let kids be running about doing their own thing.

Whether prayers should be said/hymns should sung in school is a different discussion for another thread.

The OP on the other hand does not have to be at the Christening. In fact if it weren't for the OP this particular Christening wouldn't be happening at all.

I fail to see how suggesting kids who have to be in the place where a prayer is being said (as an example) should just be quiet for a moment is ok and then saying an Atheist organizing a religious ceremony seems wrong can be hypocritical.

If I said the kids should just sit quietly ignoring everything at a sunday school they chose to be at then I would accept the label of hypocrite. However that is not what I said.

Da Foot if you're still following this thread here's another example of one of those 'haters' I was referring to.

Dipping in and out. :|

I suspect now "Mr I hate religion and it should be banned" has arrived on the thread, my involvement will diminish. It's been a pleasure to discuss with you :)

The amount of ridiculous hyperbolic hysterical abuse on this thread is unreal!

If you hadn't read the OP from all the abuse you'd think that Bonzo was a murderer or something, it's absolutely ridiculous, so much hate.

I really don't think there is any hatred towards the OP at all, just opinions being expressed on both sides of what is clearly an emotive subject from believers, non believers who respect the significance of the ceremony and non-believers who simply like to ridicule any religion.

Thankyou for mis-quoting me from another entirely unrelated thread Plekhanov. You should write for a tabloid paper.

As you have, let me address your accusation of hypocrisy you level at me based on my comments in the other thread (about children quietly not partaking in religious parts of school things) and this one (an atheist organizing a religious ceremony).

In short - kids have to be at school. If the school has "religious" parts to their day then I see no reason they shouldn't just quietly ignore the parts they don't want to partake in. However they have to be in the room and under supervision, we can't let kids be running about doing their own thing.

Whether prayers should be said/hymns should sung in school is a different discussion for another thread.

The OP on the other hand does not have to be at the Christening. In fact if it weren't for the OP this particular Christening wouldn't be happening at all.

I fail to see how suggesting kids who have to be in the place where a prayer is being said (as an example) should just be quiet for a moment is ok and then saying an Atheist organizing a religious ceremony seems wrong can be hypocritical.

If I said the kids should just sit quietly ignoring everything at a sunday school they chose to be at then I would accept the label of hypocrite. However that is not what I said.

I don't think this is going to happen really though is it?

I went to a religious school, it was impossible not to listed to the teachers. They punished you for not singing along with the hymns in the assembly and likewise if you didn't pay attention in class.

In short - they rammed it down your neck whether you liked it or not!

Dipping in and out. :|

I suspect now "Mr I hate religion and it should be banned" has arrived on the thread, my involvement will diminish. It's been a pleasure to discuss with you :)

I really don't think there is any hatred towards the OP at all, just opinions being expressed on both sides of what is clearly an emotive subject from believers, non believers who respect the significance of the ceremony and non-believers who simply like to ridicule any religion.

So being called a hypocrite, not MAN enough, a manipulative liar, just to name a few of the insults, isn't showing hatred towards anyone?

I might have said a few things myself, but not before I was insulted first!

Well what do you expect you set yourself up by saying you're an atheist who is having your child confirmed as a christian just to please your family, what kind of reaction were you expecting?:roll:

Well............. We've had the christening, it went well and the vicar didn't take any tone or offence with us.

I spoke to her before the christening and asked her what her point of view was when none religious people get their children christened. She said that it didn't worry her and that it is the best start for a child regardless of whether they choose to continue in the Christian faith or not.

She advised that when the word God comes up in the service, we should think of the word love instead, which I thought was a nice touch!

Archived