Do I have to pay my Excel Parking Ticket?

Unfortunately they have won.. I know because yes... I admit I worked in the offices (not doing the case admin though just a general dogsbody) briefly and I just know they have won. Dunno how mnay times/when but at least once when I was there. Some of the people there enjoy making people pay silly amounts of money but it's because they are private car parks and they display signs warning of what will happen. I dunno about people who ignore letters etc. though as I wasn't there that long and not in that section as I said so maybe there is truth in that I couldn't say.
I'd need some hard evidence of that rather than just hearsay I'm afraid because there is so much talk of the consequences of ignoring/not paying that it is important to know for a fact that any of these cases have been successful in court. At the moment, as I keep saying, I'm not convinced it will stand up in court. This is private car parks btw, not parking on the street.

I'd need some hard evidence of that rather than just hearsay I'm afraid because there is so much talk of the consequences of ignoring/not paying that it is important to know for a fact that any of these cases have been successful in court. At the moment, as I keep saying, I'm not convinced it will stand up in court. This is private car parks btw, not parking on the street.

Well it's not hearsay for me because I worked there when a manager and someone else went to court somewhere to represent Excel BUT I do know what you mean. Obviously I cannot provide evidence, either.

I think the way some of the appeals are handled is pretty disgusting but ah well, just my opinion. It's how they make money I suppose, you should read the signs and understand the rules fully before parkiing in one of their car parks as it's not alwasy the same rules as other places. If you don't, then they are on you like a tonne of bricks.

Here's one. Clicky. May not be the company in question but they do win in court.

I imagine what with you knowing so much about parking enforcement you will also be aware of the new ruling announced the other day regarding owners taking responsibility for their vehicles? Seems like more will win in court too.

Now, that arse of yours.

Here's one. Clicky. May not be the company in question but they do win in court.

I imagine what with you knowing so much about parking enforcement you will also be aware of the new ruling announced the other day regarding owners taking responsibility for their vehicles? Seems like more will win in court too.

Now, that arse of yours.

Ok, we'll see what happens but it does say that it is a landmark ruling which implies that up until that case no parking company has won and the circumstances of parking in a permit area may well be different.

Maybe you can explain to us exactly why it is necessary for you to be abusive about this just because we don't agree. Doesn't really say much about you does it?

Maybe you can explain to us exactly why it is necessary for you to be abusive about this just because we don't agree. Doesn't really say much about you does it?

I found your attitude to others smug, especially when you were told otherwise. If you want to prove something wrong, it's up to you to prove it. I did my bit.

Had you paid more attention you would have noticed that the charge turns into a debt and therefore is enforceable in court once all avenues have been exhausted.

Telling people to leave it is incorrect advice which could get them in to further trouble. I'll leave your arse alone now.

I found your attitude to others smug, especially when you were told otherwise. If you want to prove something wrong, it's up to you to prove it. I did my bit.

Had you paid more attention you would have noticed that the charge turns into a debt and therefore is enforceable in court once all avenues have been exhausted.

Telling people to leave it is incorrect advice which could get them in to further trouble. I'll leave your arse alone now.

I asked for someone to provide some evidence as I had not seen any because until that case there wasn't any, you have done and so I accept that one case has been won so far. From other stuff that your link has lead me to it is by no means certain that others will also be won. I don't think it's me that's being smug on this.

I asked for someone to provide some evidence as I had not seen any because until that case there wasn't any, you have done and so I accept that one case has been won so far. From other stuff that your link has lead me to it is by no means certain that others will also be won. I don't think it's me that's being smug on this.

You were giving out wrong advice. I apologise for mentioning your arse. I won't do it again.

I understand the new "landmark" announced recently has essentially stopped consumer forums from offering the advice of "tell them it wasn't you driving".

You were giving out wrong advice. I apologise for mentioning your arse. I won't do it again.

I understand the new "landmark" announced recently has essentially stopped consumer forums from offering the advice of "tell them it wasn't you driving".

I completely disagree. A case won in a County Court does not set a precedent that other courts must follow. This can only be done via a High Court ruling. The general advice from the more well known consumer forums is to ask the parking company to contact the driver as the alleged breach of contract in relation to a private parking ticket is between the driver of the vehicle and the land owner or their represenatives. The registered keeper of a vehicle is under no legal obligation whatsoever to name the driver unless the offence is covered by the Road Traffic Act i.e. a speeding ticket. Excel lost a court case in Mansfield recently where the judge agreed that the extortionate amount someone was charged amounted to an illegal penalty, which is outlawed under contract law. As it goes, only a handful of private parking companies will take matters to court and yes a few of them do win as seen with the Rochdale case. I suspect most of these are either default wins i.e the defendant has failed to show up in court or the defence submitted by the defendant was very poor. The fact is that the vast majority of people who receive a so called 'parking ticket' will pay up without question because they assume it's official (not to mention all the threatograms they receive). The majority of people who have told the parking compaies to go and spin have not had to pay a penny, myself included.

That wasn't the "advice" I was giving, I was suggesting people completely ignore it. I wouldn't advise anyone to take the route taken in your quoted case as it was clear he was lying about not driving or knowing who was driving which will have got the judge's back up. If a person ignores the ticket, that allegation cannot be thrown at him. I have done this btw and I'm going somewhere this evening where I'm tempted to try it just to see what happens, for our entertainment. If they take me to court and win, I'll pay. Do you want to make a wager on it?

Archived