Minimum wage should be £24000+

And people working for minimum wage should get a free bus pass.

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/ihstory.aspx?storycode=6514926

The government’s cap on the amount of benefits that a workless household can claim has survived a vote by MPs.

The committee of MPs scrutinising the Welfare Reform Bill, which introduces a £26,000 cap on the amount of benefits that a workless family can claim, and £18,000 for a single person, this morning voted down an amendment which ministers believed would ‘emasculate’ the cap.

A minimum wage of £24000 a year and a free bus pass would guarantee a single person working is £2 a day NET better off than a single person on benefits.

And people working for minimum wage should get a free bus pass.

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/ihstory.aspx?storycode=6514926

A minimum wage of £24000 a year and a free bus pass would guarantee a single person working is £2 a day NET better off than a single person on benefits.

Not sure about £24,000 a year but it sure needs to be more than it is.

I think what the OP is highlighting here, is that everyone is talking about the impact of cuts in benefits, inparticuarly housing benefit to claimants.

However, over the past few years, no one has been too bothered about the plight of people who do very important jobs, and are paid the minium wage.

Where would we be if everyone refused to stack shelfs in Supermarkets because the pay is too low?

Realistically, the minimum wage will not get to £24,000 a year for decades, but what it does highlight is what a person would need to be earning if in work, to match what someone gets who isn't working

You could always reduce benefits.

Those who didn't like living on benefits and who aren't prepared to work for minimum wage could become self-employed.

Minimum Wage in the US is $7.25 an hour. £4.47 an hour.

Is there a shortage of people who want to go there?

You could always reduce benefits.

Those who didn't like living on benefits and who aren't prepared to work for minimum wage could become self-employed.

Minimum Wage in the US is $7.25 an hour. £4.47 an hour.

Is there a shortage of people who want to go there?

Is the right answer.

Of course they should be. But if you have shelf stackers ( not a job I'm deriding at all I've done it ) on 12 ph ie more less double wages, their supervisors will want double wages and so on. I think if families on benifits can afford a flat screen telly, which some can based on what I've seen, I'd say benefits are about right.

In most cases you'd only get £24k benefits if you lived in London with high levels of housing benefit, plus say disability living allowance (eg you had to pay for a carer).

If the minimum wage was £24k the country would go bust in next to no time.