Minimum wage should be £24000+

He was working originally, the first attempt gave him tax credits. Maybe if you get TC you can't get HB?

"If you are already claiming out-of-work benefits you normally qualify for full Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit and various passported benefits. Please note that the calculator will work out how much you should be entitled to from scratch, ignoring the benefit entitlements associated with your current claim. You do not need to enter into the calculator the amount you currently receive in out-of-work benefits."

https://www.turn2us.entitledto.co.uk/entitlementcalculator.aspx

For a 25 year old single male JSA claimant, that calculator gave me:

JSA £3,529.28 £67.50 JSA (income-based).

Means-tested bill reductions

Council Tax Benefit £599.71 £11.47 You should not have to pay Council Tax as you qualify for full Council Tax Benefit.

Housing Benefit £3,398.57 £65.00 We have calculated your entitlement using the Local Housing Allowance rate you entered. LHA rates change every month so please return to the calculator regularly to check your entitlement.

Total Entitlements £7,527.56 £143.97 weekly

I set council tax at £600 per year, and rent at £65 per week

"If you are already claiming out-of-work benefits you normally qualify for full Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit and various passported benefits. Please note that the calculator will work out how much you should be entitled to from scratch, ignoring the benefit entitlements associated with your current claim. You do not need to enter into the calculator the amount you currently receive in out-of-work benefits."

https://www.turn2us.entitledto.co.uk/entitlementcalculator.aspx

Yeah, I know what it was calculating, and it gave no HB for a single male out of work... Nor to the full time minimum wage version. Only the part time 20 hrs/week scenario got HB.

For a 25 year old single male JSA claimant, that calculator gave me:

JSA £3,529.28 £67.50 JSA (income-based).

Means-tested bill reductions

Council Tax Benefit £599.71 £11.47 You should not have to pay Council Tax as you qualify for full Council Tax Benefit.

Housing Benefit £3,398.57 £65.00 We have calculated your entitlement using the Local Housing Allowance rate you entered. LHA rates change every month so please return to the calculator regularly to check your entitlement.

Total Entitlements £7,527.56 £143.97 weekly

I set council tax at £600 per year, and rent at £65 per week

Even weirder, I wasn't show the annual amounts, only the weekly amounts...

I set council tax at £750 and rent (on the first example at 500/month, and on the final example at 350/month).

You entered an LHA rate? I said I didn't know it.

For those interested in this area, London's working poor currently recieve £7:85, and this is anticipated to rise to £8:30 per hour minimum.

See today's Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/may/25/london-living-wage-poor-cuts

Edit - Only if their employers sign up to the LLW Campaign

Edited by Mister M