Minimum wage should be £24000+

And people working for minimum wage should get a free bus pass.

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/ihstory.aspx?storycode=6514926

A minimum wage of £24000 a year and a free bus pass would guarantee a single person working is £2 a day NET better off than a single person on benefits.

Surely that won't make any odds?

Don't quite know whether you're a graduate of the London school of Economics and I'm just dim but one would assume that if the staff on the lower scale of the employment ladder were paid more then the overall cost of the service or goods provided would increase also as operating costs for the business increase?

Look at the production chain for a lettuce for example; farm worker > factory packer > haulage company driver > tesco warehouse operative > shelf stacker

If all of these people now must earn a minimum wage of £24kpa then the overall cost of the product would surely increase also. Meaning the pay-rise that all the minimum wagers would get would mean that the extra money had absolutely no effect on their spending power?

Just done the government calculator.

I used myself, and my 2 children (2 and 7)

But made myself single, and in receipt of income support...

Results:

Income Support £67.50 per week

Child Tax Credit £108.29 per week

Housing Benefit £114.76 per week

Council Tax Benefit £13.39 per week

Total benefits you have declared £33.70 per week (thats child benefit)

Total weekly income £337.64 per week

I think it works out your HB entitlement once you tell them you know the LHA - If you don't know it, they can't calculate it, as you don't enter where you live :)

I wonder what was wrong with my example that stopped it giving HB.

It can't be the lack of LHA, I put that I didn't know the rates in all 3 examples...

What is the max HB for a single person >25 around here anyway, just to compare it to chem1sts advocated £24k minimum wage. Presumably he's way off and someone earning 24k will have far more disposable income than someone claiming income support and HB.

Its £88 odd per week, for 1 bed accommodation

Under 25 is much less

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/benefits/local-housing-allowance

I assume they can work out a set amount if you are working, a percentage of your rent... But when you're unemployed and applying to get the lot paid based on your circumstances and area you live in, it can vary too much for them to calculate I suppose.

I think the minimum wage should be set high enough to make sure workers receive more money than those on benefits.

My daughter and fiancée both work full time but live 90 miles apart; they want to rent or buy a house but can’t afford it. They have looked at accommodation in between where they both work and then both commute 45 miles to work but they wouldn’t be able to afford the petrol. My daughter earns the most so her fiancée could pack work in and rent or buy near where my daughter works, but with just one wage they couldn’t afford it. One day they want a family but not yet, the problem they have is the only way they can afford to move in together is to stop working and have a family now. They would get benefits if they had a child now and their income would be nearly £200 a week higher. They are not planning on doing this.

People should get a job, find a place to live and then start a family when they can afford it, but the benefits system encourages people to start a family in order to afford and house.

Surely that won't make any odds?

Don't quite know whether you're a graduate of the London school of Economics and I'm just dim but one would assume that if the staff on the lower scale of the employment ladder were paid more then the overall cost of the service or goods provided would increase also as operating costs for the business increase?

Look at the production chain for a lettuce for example; farm worker > factory packer > haulage company driver > tesco warehouse operative > shelf stacker

If all of these people now must earn a minimum wage of £24kpa then the overall cost of the product would surely increase also. Meaning the pay-rise that all the minimum wagers would get would mean that the extra money had absolutely no effect on their spending power?

But at least then, the people who work in the lettuce production chain and pay TAX and NI on their wages, and DUTY & VAT on their travel, can then afford more lettuces than the person whom is on the dole and funded by the tax payments of the workers in the production chain.

Their relative spending power would rise. And if those at the top did not get a pay rise, then inequality would fall too.