Silversmith G.R. Collis and Company

Hello,

I am looking for the address of Sheffield Silversmith G.R. Collis and Company. More precisely, the address where the company would have been located back in 1893 when the Stanley Cup was manufactured by them. The Stanley Cup is the championship trophy for the National Hockey League, one of the major leagues in North America.

Also, would someone know if each Silversmith oversaw their own manufacturing on site or where there off-site locations for actual production?

Any guidance would be most gratefully be appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave Mathews

Hello,

I am looking for the address of Sheffield Silversmith G.R. Collis and Company. More precisely, the address where the company would have been located back in 1893 when the Stanley Cup was manufactured by them. The Stanley Cup is the championship trophy for the National Hockey League, one of the major leagues in North America.

Also, would someone know if each Silversmith oversaw their own manufacturing on site or where there off-site locations for actual production?

Cheers,

Dave Mathews

You may get an answer here:

http://www.sheffieldindexers.com/

Are you sure that it's a Sheffield silversmith and not Birmingham?

Hello,

Cheers,

Dave Mathews

Hello. You can view some historical directories online -type in historicaldirectories with no space between the words. White's Directory of Sheffield and Rotherham for 1901 is on there. Regards, CR

Hello,

Cheers,

Dave Mathews

I think DUFFEMS may be right about GR Collis being a Birmingham Silversmith.

Birmingham Makers Marks - G - Silver Makers MarksSilver Makers' Marks - Birmingham Assay Office (G). GA GB GC GD GE GF GG GH GI GJ GK GL GM GP GR GS GT .... G R Collis & Co (George Richmond Collis), 1827 ...

http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/Birmingham-G.html -

Thank you both for your replies and input.

That's very interesting. The G.R. Collis and Company had a location in London on Regents Street. That I am sure is were the order was placed for the cup. All of the writings speak of it being manufactured in Sheffield, but does not specify the maker.

If the cup was actually specially commissioned and made in Sheffield, I would take it that it does not bear the hallmark of the G.R. Collis and Company? Where on the bowl would hallmark normally be? Was the location of hallmarks totally random?

Cheers,

Dave

Thank you both for your replies and input.

That's very interesting. The G.R. Collis and Company had a location in London on Regents Street. That I am sure is were the order was placed for the cup. All of the writings speak of it being manufactured in Sheffield, but does not specify the maker.

If the cup was actually specially commissioned and made in Sheffield, I would take it that it does not bear the hallmark of the G.R. Collis and Company? Where on the bowl would hallmark normally be? Was the location of hallmarks totally random?

Cheers,

Dave

Hello. My uncle was a master silversmith,and I have some items made by him,but they are Sheffield plate. I think the hallmark could be anywhere on the outside of the cup,somewhere unobtrusive, and if in two parts, each part should be marked. But I am no expert ! just an ex pat Sheffielder!

Soon afterwards, Stanley purchased a decorative punch bowl, made in Sheffield, England, and sold by London silversmith G. R. Collis and Company (now Boodle and Dunthorne Jewellers), for ten guineas, equal to ten and a half pounds sterling, $48.67 USD, which is equal to $1,186 today.

Wikipedia.... so no idea on WHO made it, just who comissioned it.

On flickr.com search -> Stanley Cup - close up

On the very top rim, "C W"or "G W" Would that be a valid hallmark? The message board won't let me post a link (too few posts)

Hello. That looks like the makers initials. There should be other marks as well. You can look up makers marks on the web, as well as date marks, etc. The previous post showing paragraph from Wikipaedia seems to suggest that maker is not Collis, doesn't it. CR

Archived