Alzheimers - an awful disease

Have donated a fiver and commented to get you back to the top of the board. Might be better if you change the title to "sponsor my uncle for alzheimers research" as people seem to either not care or skipped past this.

My mother has it, she has no concept of time, and watches the TV without understanding anything, and then comes out with something perfectly normal.

She lives on the same road as us and has started to pop round at 5:00 am. She is 86, unlike a friend who died whilst suffering from it at age 58.

We feed her, the wife showers her, she asked me who I was one day, and calls her grandson 'that boy', basically I'm gutted. She has money, but even if she hadn't, and if I could have a rational conversation with her, I know that she would tell me to take her to Dignitas.

Life's crap, and then you die.

My Grandma had Alzheimers and now my Dads got dementia ! Its so heartbreaking ! Im a daddys girl and it breaks my heart to see him now ! I love him so very much ! Hes in respite at moment cos mum needed a break ! Its so horrid this disease and as a nurse I deal with Dementia patients most days but its different when its yours ! He was so bright-used to play football for Shiregreen Amateurs,played Table Tennis. He was a fantastic mechanic,working for GPO. I always remember him coming home on test drive with one of red vans ! Phil-my brother remembers him taking a gear box to bits and sorting out then putting it back together in our back yard.How life has changed !!!

My mum has a rare form of dementia,she's 73 this year,i totally agree it's just heart breaking it leaves you feeling utterly useless.

I lost my dad to a heart attack,when he was just 57,i felt so cheated,no saying goodbye telling him how much he's loved etc,it made me feel so empty and lost.

But now my mum has this jesus i know which way i would rather leave this earth.....She gets so emotional,sad,crying,angry,it's no way for anyone to live.....My heart goes out to anyone in the same situation as me,i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy....

My fellas gran is in the last stages of this awful disease. They have put DNR on her records and her organs are now starting to shut down. The family agree that this is the best option, she has no quality of life at all anymore the poor woman. I hope one day a cure can be found.

Archived