Eckington The Royal Hotel Pub

Jodz

I live in Eckington and if you are thinking of buying it yourself you are taking a HUGE gamble.

In the village, thats the 4th pub to have closed down. There are just not enough people to use them.

Its hasn't been busy in the Royal for around 10 years.

It was closed down so some of the locals got together and bought the business. It didnt do well even without paying wages as they took in turns for shifts and kind of did it as a hobby to keep thier local open.

It closed for about a year then reopened with the last owner. We called in for a drink a few weeks ago on a Saturday night at 2130ish and he was going to close as he had only 4 customers since 3pm. All the pubs are about the same in the village with the exception of the Rose and Crown a little further up but I believe that the landlord there is not renewing this time as its loosing money.

The brewery "enterprise" even went as far as to close thier other pub The west end a bit further up to try and boost business in the rose but its had little effect.

i live in Eckington and as the first guy said.....wouldnt even go there! 4 customers says it all. the pub trade is just going no where but down a hill. too many pubs have opened and shut down now so people just go elsewhere, generally mosborough or to town.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm interested in the Eckington Town centre, and having seen the closed pubs and read your threads on here - I was after some thoughts about the town centre;

Does anyone use the shops on the high street other than the co-op?

What is the night life like in the town?

What would you think is the one most single problem with Eckington?

Cheers!

Archived