Canadian Airmen Honored at Cresswell Crags Nr Sheffield.

Maybe of interest to our Canadian Expats.

I have just visited Creswell Crags just over the Derbyshire border from Sheffield and this last week an imposing memorial stone has been erected to 5 Canadian airmen who crashed thereon the 5Th of August 1944.

the lads names are

Navigator- LOWELL M BREHAUT P.O -AGE 21

Wireless Op- JAMES R CLARKE SGT, AGE 19.

Bomb Aimer-WALTER J. LEE SGT AGE 19

Bomb Aimer-WALT W ,COOPER F.O AGE 32.Bomber

Pilot WILLIS D. MURDIE WO1 AGE26

The brave lads from Canada died when there Wellington crashed on the site on the above date in 1944.

Nice to see them remembered

I have just visited Creswell Crags just over the Derbyshire border from Sheffield and this last week an imposing memorial stone has been erected to 5 Canadian airmen who crashed thereon the 5Th of August 1944.

the lads names are

The brave lads from Canada died when there Wellington crashed on the site on the above date in 1944.

May God bless and keep them, along with their comrades who died in Endcliffe Park.

Respect is everlasting.

the lads names are

There was an article on the radio about this - the chap who has paid for the memorial was the young lad who witnessed the crash and who was pretty traumatised by it. He is now I think in his 80s, the memorial was paid for out of the estate of his brother who has recently died and left the money to pay for it.

There was an article on the radio about this - the chap who has paid for the memorial was the young lad who witnessed the crash and who was pretty traumatised by it. He is now I think in his 80s, the memorial was paid for out of the estate of his brother who has recently died and left the money to pay for it.

That's really nice, bless him.

That's really nice, bless him.

The Canadian High Commissioner (or similar) for the UK was interviewed - he was going to the ceremony and sounded really touched by it. He made the point that over 1m Canadians volunteered to fight in the war, out of a country of at that time around 20m. I think he said around 100,000 didn't return.

Cheers SH, Nice of the old guy to think of the sacrifice that these lads made lets hope this is never forgotten along with the millions of others who died in two World Wars.

Cheers SH, Nice of the old guy to think of the sacrifice that these lads made lets hope this is never forgotten along with the millions of others who died in two World Wars.

What was nice/odd was that the commentator said that the guy who'd witnessed it had apparently vowed to one day commemorate the sad event. Part of me wondered why it had taken him 60-odd years, another part of me felt for a chap who (let's assume had never had loads of money) had carried this desire with him for so many years, had shared it with his brother and who, finally, had been able to realise that ambition.

• 11 months later...

It took so long because they were finding all the info about the living family and also it was special stone that it was carved on

i know this because i did some of the finding of the families in Canada

it was so nice working on this and the families were so so happy that they were altogether even thought my name never got said it was a honor to work on it

:love:

Archived