Debt collectors

So if I signed a contract in 2004, paid it normally until 2008 and then stopped.

6 years later in 2014 the debt will be null??? (if I've not been taken to court or something)

It has nothing to do with contacting parties, letters back and forth and so on??

You're more or less right.

The Limitation Act 1980 gives a defence; the debt becomes statute-barred.

(UNLESS you as debtor later acknowledged (to the creditor) that the debt still exists.)

oh I see, but the act of making contact with the debt collection agency does not constitute recognising the debt.

Especially if your letter is one contesting/denying the debt exists???

(Thanks for your help by the way :) )

oh I see, but the act of making contact with the debt collection agency does not constitute recognising the debt.

Especially if your letter is one contesting/denying the debt exists???

(Thanks for your help by the way :) )

You have to be very specific in how you write to them. You must avoid "acknowledgement" of debt.

• 4 weeks later...

If you have never acknowledge the debt for 6yrs it is a dead debt so do not reply Lowell's are a debt collecting agency but when the letters come they look as if from a solicitor go and visit your cab or advice centre they will put you right

Archived