Did You Ever Get Stuck In The Tram Lines?

Way back as a young tup in the 50s as a keen cyclist my worst experiance on a bike was getting my front wheel stuck in tram lines after crossing Hillfoot Bridge onto Penistone Road.It was wet on the road,the bike skidded,the front wheel slid into the tramline bringing me off,next thing a car was skidding towards me,it stopped on top of the bike a close call inches away from me!.The driver was more shook up than me and I was shaking,it happened to pals of mine often.I wonder if any forum members ever had this experiance in their past?.:roll::huh:

Penistone Road, Bonfire Night 1959 - I remember it well. There were no Wadsley Bridge trams by then (they had finished a few weeks earlier) but the deadly tramlines were still there, and like old tup I fell foul of them in wet weather, coming a right cropper. I've still got a scar on my right knee but it was my nose that hurt most!

My dad's motorbike and sidecar just fitted between the rails. If he hadn't given a quick turn of the handlebars we'd always have finished up at the tram sheds..:P

When I was about 14 I went with some schoolfriends to Langold lake, it was a lovely day and we had a swim and really enjoyed the day, on our way home we came up Fargate and across the front of the Town Hall where the tram lines criss-crossed to the stops near the Peace Gardens, it had been raining heavily in Sheffield and everyone negotiated the lines except me as I went

arse over tit right in front of the Town Hall, I have never been so embarassed, I was up in a flash and off down the Moor as fast as I could, we laughed about it afterwards.

I used to dread the ones on pond street, you had to ride between the lines because there was only about a foot between the left hand line and the curb.

My biggest fear was getting a tramcar behind me traveling towards Fitzalan square so I used to peddle like the clappers looking behind me more than to the front, a recipe for disaster...

I once accidentally crossed the left hand line and finished up with my front wheel on the curb and my back wheel in the gutter and me laid at this guys feet...

In the Fifties, my cousin had a Bubble Car. One day he took me in it to Sheffield City Centre. When we were coming down Snig Hill past Cockayne's, the front wheel got fast in the tram lines. We stoped, got out and lifted the Bubble Car to safety. In we got and off we went.

Archived