Did You Ever Get Stuck In The Tram Lines?

The bottom of Commercial St did for me more than once. Coming from the Midland station if you wanted to go straight on you had to point up Commercial st almost as the curvature was such as it was easy to get stuck, fortunatley not too many cars about then. Talking about 'cars', when I came to live in Sheffield as a 12 yr old in '53, it was 3 days before I realised that the sign on the posts that said 'Cars stop here' meant trams, but I was a country boy, and was gobsmacked when I saw how many trams use to line up down at Weedon St/Vulcan Rd for the steel workers fi9nishing their shifts.

In the mid 50's, I was riding my bike which was powered by a Mini-Motor (a 50cc engine which inefficiently pressed on the back tyre to drive the bike). I came a cropper in tramlines outside Kennings as I wanted to go along Pond Street and the trams went down towards the Midland Station. It was an over the handlebars job in quite a spectacular fashion.

Mike

Archived