Tories are losing touch with reality on NHS bill

I had both of my cataracts done last year by BUPA and the hospital was great and the surgeon did a fine job, hence me here now.

I was offered three local hospitals to go to or BUPA and I chose BUPA after seeing how my elderly Mother was treated during a knee operation and I remember how the NHS hospital gave me MRSA after a motorbike accident.

It all cost the same money but it was my choice where to go and that was under a Labour government.... I was registered with BUPA anyway and you too can have what I paid extra for at that time.... what you have to realise is that the state will drag its heels because its a money conveyor belt.... private enterprise can still make a killing on the same budget, see you sooner and sort you out sooner and there is an adjudication body in place to watch them. Its not a privatised service if its still free to everyone.

The NHS is not working as we know it so lets improve it.

But where does that profit go, shareholders, senior managers & CEO’s. <snip>

Sorry to say Arguendo but your post demonstrates the lack of joined up thinking and knowledge that is holding back the NHS from doping what it need to do to improve and be cheaper.

This isn't meant as a slight on you, it's how most people think because of the years of silly government propaganda about how the NHS is somehow a world leader in health care when in reality it fails when put under the slightest comparison against most developed nations.

There is no money for this illusion to continue. It's finished. We have to find another way.

Private healthcare is there for those who can afford it and want it, and the NHS is there for the rest of us.

The Tories are just dying to do away with the NHS, its driven by their despicable ideology, they have nothing but contempt for the low paid working class.

Private healthcare is there for those who can afford it and want it, and the NHS is there for the rest of us.

The Tories are just dying to do away with the NHS, its driven by their despicable ideology, they have nothing but contempt for the low paid working class.

Yeah and those low paid working class just get treated marvelously under the NHS don't they?

Sorry to say Arguendo but your post demonstrates the lack of joined up thinking and knowledge that is holding back the NHS from doping what it need to do to improve and be cheaper.

This isn't meant as a slight on you, it's how most people think because of the years of silly government propaganda about how the NHS is somehow a world leader in health care when in reality it fails when put under the slightest comparison against most developed nations.

There is no money for this illusion to continue. It's finished. We have to find another way.

Perhaps you should give some examples, if you are going to adopt such an authoritative air about it.

Which are the developed nations, and which comparisons are you specifically refering to?

I think everyone agrees the NHS needs some kind of reform, however I believe by allowing Dodgy Daves mates to make money out of it by cherry picking the best parts is wrong. I don't know what the answer is but I don't believe Cameron has the best interests of the people at heart, only that of his capitalist friends.

Yeah and those low paid working class just get treated marvelously under the NHS don't they?

Generally I think they do. My G.P. is brilliant and my experience of out patient treatment has been excellent.I haven't been an in patient for many years but I think that's where the health service is not so great but many of the failings are due to insufficient staff on the wards.

I might be thick, but can someone explain how you can make a profit out of what is esentially a public service industry without someone else being the loser.

That's not to say that the NHS doesn't need improving - it does, but I don't want to see money going to shareholders.

The NHS no doubt needs reforming, but allowing private health companies to take over completely is not the answer. I am not against private healthcare; in my view private healthcare is good if controlled & run in conjunction with national health services.

The current problems with the NHS has many reasons, it’s outdated & gone way beyond the foresight of its creators, alongside this poor management, underfunding, understaffing, health tourists, over expectations by service users, advances in surgery/medicine, pharmaceutical & private supplier financial costs, ageing population, massive rise in population, immigration and yes a minority of poor staff who lack a caring or compassion approach, are all contributing to the financial demands & contributing to what is seen as poor service.

A further problem which is preventing the NHS from reforming is the political parties of the UK, the two main contributors to this being the conservatives & Labour, who use the NHS like a game political football, each trying to implement their own ideologies, whilst trying to score political points with the electorate.

On one side you have Labour who clings to the Beveridge health bill 1948, which at the time of its introduction was an inspiration to the world, elements of which have been copied by many other countries. In my own opinion the Beveridge health bill was a landmark in the UK development of a civilised society. However in 1948 Labour didn’t foresee the aforementioned changes that would take place,(in bold). To Labour you have two options government controlled NHS, which takes priority, or private healthcare; they refuse to accept that private health & the NHS can work in conjunction with one another in a government controlled manner.

The conservatives still cling to their pre 1948 health bill principles; that being the ability to pay take precedence, the burden of health costs falls on the individual; in the same way the USA has practiced for many years & ironically a system which the USA is currently changing. The current & separate plans by both Labour & the Conservatives will not resolve the issue on their own, the plans of both parties will in fact only further increase the problem.

What too many people lose touch with is stuff like this. It's an utter disgrace, and we should banish the myth that the NHS is still something to be a source of national pride. It isn't, it's a let down, and scandals like the one in the link just keep happening.

I have to agree with the sentiments of this article, I do not understand why privatisation is such a dirty idea when it comes to the NHS? Personally I think letting patients down is an even dirtier idea.

in response..

http://www.richardbeard.info/2010/08/nhs-knee-surgery-john-radcliff/

Archived