Amateur Dramatics.. Looking to join!

CathS

Google the Manor Operatic Society, they're based in Rotherham but they do regular shows at the City Hall in Town including the annual Panto (which is often better than the pro Panto at the Lyceum)

Manor Operatic Society actually rehearse next door to the motor bike sales place on Derek Dooley Way, off the Wicker, Sheffield, not Rotherham. They do two shows a year at Sheffield City Hall, a musical in May (they've just finished doing Carousel two weeks ago) and, of course, the panto, which is going to be Dick Whittington this year and opens the day after Boxing Day. If you don't want to sing, then they're always happy to welcome new back-stage crew (they're a very friendly group anyhow), but please note that is physically demanding work - if you want any more info, please pm me.

Without knowing your experience in the various theatre disciplines, hard to say. I know you are good with tech, so maybe consider getting involved with lighting or audio or even the general running of a theatre? There's loads of other stuff like running the ticket desk, poster design and publicity.

I used to volunteer for an "off the main drag" theatre in Hamburg, setting up lights and running the lighting mixer during the shows. It helped me sharpen up my skills for TV and gave a good insight into what makes an actor really deliver their character convincingly.

You mentioned directing, but that's not something that you can just jump into. It takes vision, creativity and a lot of people management. Having the respect of your actors is very important, otherwise it is easy to be seen as an insufferable arsehole.

In my case, I was already working as a video editor and just happened to be in their pub when the actors and director turned up after the show. We got talking and the rest is history.

If you want to check out some of the local talent, try this years one act play festival, see below for details

Sheffield and District Amateur Theatre Association present the 2011 One Act Play Festival.

Local groups from across the South and West Yorkshire regions will be taking part in this year’s event and 10 plays will be performed during the 4 day theatrical extravaganza.

...The event celebrates the very best in amateur theatrical talent and offers a platform for groups to explore new writers or revisit old ones and have their work judged by a professional adjudicator.

Prizes will be awarded for Acting, Production, Presentation and Dramatic Achievement and if you would like to cast your vote, there is an audience choice award for the best ‘moment’.

Programme Details

TUESDAY 14th JUNE-

Gosforth Semors,

“Mine’s a Pint” by Rod Duncan

53 Theatre Group,

"The Last Bread Pudding" by Nick Warburton

WEDNESDAY 15th JUNE-

Ecclesall Theatre Company,

“Heart’s Desire” by Caryl Churchill

Just Drama- Bradford Youth Players,

“Rabbit” by David Foxton

Dronfield Players,

“Orange Blossom” by Philip Johnson

THURSDAY 16th JUNE-

FRIDAY 17th JUNE-

Just Drama- Bradford Youth Players,

“Apparently Not” by Hayley Gordon

Red Redemption,

“Missing People” by Gill Buttery

Denys Edwards Players,

“Ritual For Dolls” by George MacEwan Green

SATURDAY 18th JUNE-

Gosforth Youth Theatre,

“Rabbit” by David Foxton

Dewsbury Arts Group,

“It Runs In The Family” by David Foxton

If you would like to buy tickets for any of the days (or all – discounts available for multiple ticket purchases) contact Jack Massey at priorymount@blueyonder.co.uk or call 0114 2551367/07710 277976

Tickets are priced at £8.00 (£7.00 conc)

• 3 years later...

Hi! I know this is an old thread, but I wondered if anybody knew any am dram companies that would like volunteer a prop maker/scenic artist/designer? Ive just moved to Sheffield after being away for 4 years, and really want to bring my creativity here with me :)

Many thanks