First time Grandparents.

What feels/sounds right to you?

My grandma didn't want to be called nanny as she said it sounded like she was hired help :)

I find Nannan really irritating, it sounds so stupid. Don't know why that is!

Talking about telling the difference between grandparents, when our kids were small they used to refer to nan–nan budgie and nan-nan in the big house. :hihi: …….. one had a pet budgie and the other lived in a residential home.

Congratulations Malky and Mrs Malky, being a grandma was the best thing that ever happened to me. :D

I used to call my grandma's big Grandma and little Grandma, one was taller than the other ( not fatter) and Grandad was Grandad we only had one. :)

My Grandad was always called Grandad.. Sadly he died when I was 21, in August 1997 *I was 21 that April), he was in his mid 70s I believe, fought in WW2 and got medals.

I can't remember if I've mentioned this (memory failing with age) but being a g/parent is totally different from being a parent. The feeling in the relationship is just great.

My g/daughter thought that I was the fount of all knowledge...ringing me up to help her with her homework, spelling etc and she bought me plaque which says:

My daddy knows lots of things but my grandad knows everything.

However, when she asked me a question recently and I said I didn't know the answer, the cheeky monkey walked over to the the plaque, which is on my computer room wall, and said "I think this needs to come down"

That's the sort of relationship g/ps can have.

Ps congratulations Malky.

We are soon to become grandparents so what should the little one call us?

Nan , Gran, Grandma

Grandad, grandpa, pop, pa

What common terms are used these days, before any comic says it yes I know we will be known as “ Bank of Nan and Grandad”

Nan is by far the best, it is a diminutive of Anne and short for Nancy and Nanette so doesn't sound so 'aged'

Nan is by far the best, it is a diminutive of Anne and short for Nancy and Nanette so doesn't sound so 'aged'

I disagree, I really didn't want to be called nan, nana, nanny and particularly not nan-nan (I'm with Becky on that, its my very least favourite). I'm granny to our two littlies. But as I'm Scottish there was no other choice. ;) My OH is pops.

Their other grandparents are nana and grandpa. Different sounding names also makes for easy distinction for the children.

Congrats to the OP - I think being a grandparent is like being a parent without all the difficult bits. :love:

I can't remember if I've mentioned this (memory failing with age) but being a g/parent is totally different from being a parent. The feeling in the relationship is just great.

My g/daughter thought that I was the fount of all knowledge...ringing me up to help her with her homework, spelling etc and she bought me plaque which says:

My daddy knows lots of things but my grandad knows everything.

However, when she asked me a question recently and I said I didn't know the answer, the cheeky monkey walked over to the the plaque, which is on my computer room wall, and said "I think this needs to come down"

That's the sort of relationship g/ps can have.

Ps congratulations Malky.

:hihi: love it. How old is she - i.e. how long did you manage to keep up the facade of being the fount of all knowledge?

I'm going to be an auntie this year - it's looking like I'll be the stereotypical spinster aunt... Maybe I should ditch the spinning wheel?! Or will it make me appear wise? :D

I'd never heard nannan before I came to Sheffield, is it a Yorkshire thing?

Archived