Giving kids freedom to develop own sexuality

I think most folks would be supportive of their children regardless of sexuality, religious views and politics they choose later in life.

At what point does a childs right to choose how they develop get superceeded (sp?) by their parents?

For example a couple in Toronto are avoiding telling anyone the sex of their baby 'Storm' to avoid any stereotyping by other people and so influence on how the child develops due to sexual stereotyping:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13581835

Maybe a step to far in ensuring a child has complete freedom to develop?

I understand what the parents are trying to do here, but my first thought is how on earth the child is meant to interact with other children who aren't brought up in the same way.

Most children learn the differences between boys and girls really quite early on in their lives and I can just imagine the confusion when the other little ones define themselves by a term of reference that this little one doesn't understand.

Equally, when s/he is older can you imagine the potential for bullying? It was bad enough being the tall child who wore glasses!

Well, Storm doesn't define gender does it?

Neutral colours and trousers/shorts could be for a boy or a girl.

But trousers are traditionally masculine so there would be a form of bias.

I agree with your first post re interacting if you'r working outside or even against the norm.

Edit: What did you mean by "Storm"? Soz I didn't get it.

But trousers are traditionally masculine so their would be a form of bias.

I agree with your first post re interacting if you'r working outside or even against the norm.

Edit: What did you mean by "Storm"? Soz I didn't get it.

In the article linked to, that is the name of the child.

I think its quite sad that these people are seeking media attention in this way.

Its clear they care little or nothing for their child. Its just a lever to get some coverage and probably cash too.

I think its quite sad that these people are seeking media attention in this way.

Its clear they care little or nothing for their child. Its just a lever to get some coverage and probably cash too.

How is it "clear" these parents don't care?

I personally think this is a brilliant idea and takes kids one step closer to being self aware people.

If parents spent more time in control of their own children, teaching and in turn learning, then the world invarably would be so screwed up. It's all about the parenting, which seems lost on folk these days.

I think most folks would be supportive of their children regardless of sexuality, religious views and politics they choose later in life.

At what point does a childs right to choose how they develop get superceeded (sp?) by their parents?

For example a couple in Toronto are avoiding telling anyone the sex of their baby 'Storm' to avoid any stereotyping by other people and so influence on how the child develops due to sexual stereotyping:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13581835

Maybe a step to far in ensuring a child has complete freedom to develop?

something similar, but worse, was done back in the 80s or 70s. they raised a boy as a girl, or the other way round. not too sure yet.

it's wrong, wrong, wrong.

there might come a time when we have evolved past gender, race, sexuality etc but it's not yet. and putting a child at the forefront of such a forward leap in thinking and being is too heavy a load to put on a child's back.

it's too much too early.

Archived