Flashman Cameron spends £680,000 of taxpayers money on Downing Street

Ah right so it's not in The Daily Mail?

You sure about that?

Well it just shows how wrong you can be - must have been a slow day for muslim stories!

I like the comments from Michael Dugher.

Michael Dugher, a Labour MP who used to work inside Number 10, said he was astonished at the costs.

He said: ‘It is not as though the place was falling down, I am not sure what the money is being spent on.

‘At the same time as they are asking ordinary people to tighten their belts, the Camerons are splashing taxpayers’ cash on doing up their own flat. Meanwhile people in council houses are seeing their repairs cut.’

Maybe you should quote a little bit from your source:

That changes things a bit eh?

Any very old listed building like this one will need a lot of money to maintain it.Anyone who has renovated old buildings will know that the cost of refitting/renovation these days is enormous.Plumbers, decorators, plasterers whatever the trade all want a handsome wage, especially in London.Not renovating it/not keeping it maintained would ultimately have an adverse effect and if left could cost more in the future.

Of course, again the article is from the Guardian the comments releating to a nurses wage is irrelevant.Money earmarked for such a project would not ever be spent on a nurses wage so I can see why anyone ever brings this sort of thing up. As the article said, Cameron paid for the furnishings from his own pocket and the money spent will always add value to a building like this which is state owned.The alternative is to do nothing , let it detereorate and then when it really does the tax payer can then pick up the bill and see what it costs then.

If it's just general maintenance then I would agree, but £680,000 on a property which would have been well-maintained anyway seems way over the top to me and just shows how arrogant and out of touch he is.

The guy is successful and has more money to spend than you do, get over it.

Wednesday1, calm down dear, calm down.

To quote the link you posted.

A spokesman said: "This spend relates to the Downing Street Building Modernisation Programme launched in 2006, under the last government, to address structural repairs and the renewal of failing infrastructure, having gone without refurbishment for some 50 years. This work is still ongoing. Downing Street is a Grade I listed building. As such it requires a certain level of maintenance."

I would say for a building like 10 Downing St which we all know is more than just a house. £600K+ to fix whatever needs fixing and to update / refurb it doesn't sound all that bad.

What do you think DC woke up one morning a decided to just splash £600K just like that. Off course we all know your opinion on this matter would have been the total opposite if GB was still shacked up in Downing St.

Archived