American contribution to the world

It hasn't been applied Do you want it written in smaller words so you can understand? What is the point in having a bill of rights which isn't applied?

And are you really saying haviong a piece of paper on which are written a set of rules that the government of the US has ALWAY and CONTINUES to ignore is the best the Americans can think of as a contribution to the world! So India can claim that signing the non-Proliferation treaty, which they then blatantly ignored is one of India's triumphs! I've still yet to hear of a single year in US History when "ALL men are created equal" has EVER been applied. So you keep it up, ignore the arguement and go after the poster.

Your argument is specious, you completely miss the point. The ideals set down in the Bill of Rights are what's important, the ideals of human rights and democracy, which are inexorably linked. The fact that's its not always been followed to the letter does not take anything away from what it is and the tremendous impact it has had on political thought worldwide. Without it democracy as we know it today would not exist. It was one of the first attempts to put human rights into law, alongside the French declaration of the rights of man. It was a monumental achievement.

Also, it was put forward on this thread by me, not by an American. That America hasn't always applied it to its full extent does not take away from the huge influence it had on the world.

Ps. you're a massive hypocrite, you've used insulting language just as much if not more than I have.

I was going to say "great customer service" but you don't really see it outside of North America so they haven't really contributed it to the rest of the world, more kept it for themselves.

Their musical (and general entertainment) contribution has been substantial.

The way I see it is that the world has given to America more than America has given to the world; America wouldnt be the country it is without all of its outside influences - take their language for instance.

:huh: :huh:

Your argument is specious, you completely miss the point. The ideals set down in the Bill of Rights are what's important, the ideals of human rights and democracy, which are inexorably linked. The fact that's its not always been followed to the letter does not take anything away from what it is and the tremendous impact it has had on political thought worldwide. Without it democracy as we know it today would not exist. It was one of the first attempts to put human rights into law, alongside the French declaration of the rights of man. It was a monumental achievement.

Also, it was put forward on this thread by me, not by an American. That America hasn't always applied it to its full extent does not take away from the huge influence it had on the world.

Ps. you're a massive hypocrite, you've used insulting language just as much if not more than I have.

You need to go look up the word 'specious'. Ideals are irrelevent, it's what you do that matters and the US have ignored the content of the bill of rights since it was written. The ideals of human rights and democracy! Horse manure! Provided you weren't black or Chinese or native American, or later Japanese, Hispanic etc. What it should have said is "All men (by that we mean White and of European heritage) are created equal (Subject to wealth and political power)". Not followed to the letter, I assume you mean IGNORED 'Without it Democracy as we know it', what like the one that exists in the UK? or that exist all over the world. Where is your evidence that it has had ANY effect on Democracy around the world? Has the US EVER applied the Bill of Rights in any of it's colonies? One of the first, you mean after the Magna Carta, from which great chunks of the Bill of rights were 'borrowed'.

PS Oh and show me where I said I would not retaliate when I was the victim of namecalling. Go look up the word 'Hypocrisy' while you are at it.

Obama’s recent speech in the UK got me thinking about what America has actually contributed to the world. Helping Europe defeat Hitler seems to be about the only positive contribution of the United States that I can think of.

Did you not know that they defeated Hitler on their own, we had nothing to do with it:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Obama’s recent speech in the UK got me thinking about what America has actually contributed to the world. Helping Europe defeat Hitler seems to be about the only positive contribution of the United States that I can think of.

Did you not know that they defeated Hitler on their own, we had nothing to do with it:hihi::hihi::hihi:

You mean you didn't see the film? When the Romans did it it was called Vandalism, when the British Empire did it it was called Imperialism when it is pointed out to the US you are called Jealous, Ignorant, Islamic or whatever.

Yep, they helped us win World War 2, and they still think we owe them a favour or 3 for it! :loopy::rant:

Archived