American contribution to the world

Father Ted.

One word, brilliant. I remember seeing an interview with one of the producer/director type guys and he was complaining because everyone kept refering to it as brit com in conversations with him.

Funnily enough I actually prefer the American version! Although that's probably because its been on longer so the characters have been more developed.

In general though, yeah comedy is one of Britains best modern cultural exports.

Yes British comedy does take some beating.

Anyway I liked the British version of The Office far better. I watched a few epsiodes of the American but didn't find it funny at all. There was something lacking in it.

They used an old camera trick from the Laurel and Hardy comedies in the British version which was very effective.... the momentary full faced stare into the camera that Hardy often did

We've also had some first rate British cop shows here also.

Inspector Morse.

Prime Suspect

Midsomer murders

and Jeremy Brett playing Sherlock Holmes

Sacrilege basically. :hihi:

Okay. Misunderstanding on my part I thought that because Sanford and son were two black men that some black people in Britain might have found it detrimental and racially insulting although as I already mentioned no way did it put down blacks

Weird you being the only American on here and you haven't lost your cool. Don't know why that is but I doff my hat lady.

Seems a bit silly really putting contributions down to a nation....personally I hate all this nationalistic crap regardless of which side of the pond. People as individuals contribute and not necessarily for altruistic reasons or for nation.

Why thank you Alien, and thank you too, Harleyman. :)

I try not to lose it, and believe me, I used to. Not enough to be banned, but lots of masked swearing. I joined this forum because I really wanted to understand why we Americans seemed to be so universally disliked. Yes, I am a weirdo and glutton for punishment. What can I say except that it really bugged me. I'd asked friends and neighbors in the US here from other parts of the world, and the answer was always the same. "Don't listen to them, they are ignorant, forget it." I always thought, well of course they love us, they choose to live amongst us!

And I've found through trial and error that losing one's temper blocked communication big time. Even someone who appears to be unreasonably hateful has a valid point of view, sometimes they change their tune, sometimes not. And I try to learn something from them as well.

And I must give credit to a certain mod (now an Admin) whose name starts with the letter "M". If I could be half as calm and even handed as this lady, I'd be happy.

I try not to lose it, and believe me, I used to. Not enough to be banned, but lots of masked swearing. I joined this forum because I really wanted to understand why we Americans seemed to be so universally disliked. Yes, I am a weirdo and glutton for punishment. What can I say except that it really bugged me. I'd asked friends and neighbors in the US here from other parts of the world, and the answer was always the same. "Don't listen to them, they are ignorant, forget it." I always thought, well of course they love us, they choose to live amongst us!

And I've found through trial and error that losing one's temper blocked communication big time. Even someone who appears to be unreasonably hateful has a valid point of view, sometimes they change their tune, sometimes not. And I try to learn something from them as well.

And I must give credit to a certain mod (now an Admin) whose name starts with the letter "M". If I could be half as calm and even handed as this lady, I'd be happy.

You're not a weirdo Sierra. Your posts are always intelligent and very well balanced and I have to admit that I envy your even temper and control when you respond to some of the more bigoted and hateful posts about the US.

I on the other hand inherited my mother's Irish temper sorry to say which even at my age still lets me down on occasion

We could and should learn and benefit from your example. You are a credit to the forum. Keep up the good work girl :thumbsup:

I may be wrong but I think the US sitcom The Jeffersons was loosley based on Till Death Us Do Part.

The central character is a kind of black Alf Garnett

The American sitcom 'All in the family' was based on Till Death us do part. The Jeffersons were an offshoot of that program.:)

Sierra, you are the standard by how we should all be judged, whether lover or hater. Not long after 9/11 some hater happened to say the victims 'deserved it'. I don't remember your exact response, but it calmed me down immediately. You have an advantage that you weren't raised in our home city. We remember what it was, and are not too impresssed with what its becoming. I'm glad that people like you on here. You deserve it:)

It's funny that a thread, bound and determined to totally destroy the United States and ll it's minions.

A tad over exaggerated there fella.

Sierra, you are the standard by how we should all be judged, whether lover or hater.

I complimented her on her cool, I never suggested she was the ******* Virgin Mary. I guess we've embarrassed her now.

Archived