American contribution to the world

On one thread about the Union Jack one poster remarked that it was only a bit of cloth. Pathetic !

Men and women fought and died for that flag and what it stood for. That's why today we have the freedom to express our views on a public discussion forum

What a load of guff! Screw the flag, it is just a piece of cloth. That does not mean disrespecting veterans, it means disrespecting nationalism, and seriously, screw nationalism.

What a load of guff! Screw the flag, it is just a piece of cloth. That does not mean disrespecting veterans, it means disrespecting nationalism, and seriously, screw nationalism.

Words from a world weary cynic. Anyway I dont think you represent in any way the sentiments or feelings of the average Brit today........ fortunately

Words from a world weary cynic. Anyway I dont think you represent in any way the sentiments or feelings of the average Brit today........ fortunately

Well, I think he does. He represents my views well at least. We see it as pathetic that Americans are in the slightest bit bothered about their flag, it's not even as nicely designed as ours & we couldn't care less.

Well, I think he does. He represents my views well at least. We see it as pathetic that Americans are in the slightest bit bothered about their flag, it's not even as nicely designed as ours & we couldn't care less.

No he does not , nor do you, call me patriotic even nationalistic if that floats your boat, but I can't stand those who criticise those who are bothered :thumbsup:

Go to any country on this planet and you will find patriotism, only in this country do you get so many who want to criticise people for showing any :rant:

:confused: I don't think anyones asking you the care less,Americans don't fly flags to impress anyone either, if it upsets people like you thats where the care less comes in

And I see most Brits are proud to be British, so you're one of a few.

:confused: I don't think anyones asking you the care less,Americans don't fly flags to impress anyone either, if it upsets people like you thats where the care less comes in

It doesn't upset me at all, I just find it strange & a bit pathetic.

Americans have done a lot for the world that they could be proud of, so putting so much pride into a bit of coloured cloth seems stupid, to me at least.

It doesn't upset me at all, I just find it strange & a bit pathetic.

Americans have done a lot for the world that they could be proud of, so putting so much pride into a bit of coloured cloth seems stupid, to me at least.

It's what that bit of cloth represents over the years...Oh! why bother, you must be a young-un with a chip on your shoulder for some reason :hihi:

No he does not , nor do you, call me patriotic even nationalistic if that floats your boat, but I can't stand those who criticise those who are bothered :thumbsup:

Go to any country on this planet and you will find patriotism, only in this country do you get so many who want to criticise people for showing any :rant:

I don't claim to speak for the average British person, however my views of nationalism are not particularly unusual and they are becoming more common the world over.

As for the above comment about 'must be a young'un with a chip on your shoulder', see my current signature, older and wiser people than you or I have despised nationalism too, though I'm not saying 'Einstein said it so it must be true' or anything like that.

Well good luck to you then. To each his own. The Union Jack is a fine flag but it may be an endangered species if the Scots Nats get their way :hihi:

I'm sure Americans couldn't care less either about what you think of flags and patriotism.

I haven't read through all of this thread but my choices are Rock'n'Roll, Johnny Cash, Neville Brother (no not the footballers) Jack Bauer, a sense that anything is possible if you work for it and finally Bill O'Reilly who is at times the most opinionated annoying person but always informative and interesting, my god I wish we had news and current affairs shows like his.

Archived