American contribution to the world

Did you bother reading that website before you linked to it?

"We are proud to have been mentioned recently by a misguided American entertainer named Bill O'Reilly, who apparently hosts a television program on a fledgling network called "The Fox News Channel" in the United States. He referenced a recent Paris Business Review article that said France has "lost billions of dollars" because of an American boycott of French products. Of course, that article was meant in jest...

...Clearly, Mr. O'Reilly did not appreciate the humor in our "Poor Little France" column of April 1, 2004, which we believe to be his source for the information. We had assumed that all our readers would recognize that our special edition on April 1 contained only "April Fools" joke stories....

...Thank you, Mr. O'Reilly, for extending the humor of our 2004 April Fools edition and helping us celebrate a great French holiday.

We do hope no Americans are taking this "lost billions of dollars" report seriously. Mr. O'Reilly is badly misinformed and, while he may be amusing at times, he is certainly not an authoritative source of factual information."

Lol it might be better if you actually read the websites you're going to link to in future if you want to avoid embarrassing yourself like that, a little too hasty methinks.

You appear to have just strengthened my argument.

You're not alone,some people are afraid of what O'Reilly has to say too

O'Reilly gets it right on some occasions going after liberal judges who pass out ridiculously light sentences on criminals who commit brutal crimes so there's some good in his shows.

I prefer Chis Matthews on MSNBC as I'm a Democrat myself and being in mortal fear of the likes of Palin and Paul Ryan, the latter arguably being the biggest menace to the future well being of the middle class in this country if he ever gets his way. As for Palin she'd have us in another war in no time.

O'Reilly gets it right on some occasions going after liberal judges who pass out ridiculously light sentences on criminals who commit brutal crimes so there's some good in his shows.

I prefer Chis Matthews on MSNBC being a Democrat myself.

Sorry Harley, can't stand the man :(

Yes I read the site but I was pointing out the fact the Media Matters said there was no such site
And they were wrong, that doesn't take away from the fact that Bill'Oreilly was spreading misinformation. I'm not advocating media matters, in fact I've never heard of them. The figure he quoted was wrong by several orders of magnitude because it was published in an april fools issue.

did you read the other information

I'm afraid not the other link doesn't seem to work properly, perhaps you could quote the relevant part?

Here's another example for you, by the way.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/16/bill-oreilly-defends-lie_n_540672.html

This is the beginning of the article

Posted 5/1/2003 3:23 AM Updated 5/1/2003 3:23 AM

Forget about Paris

Two of every five Americans who planned to visit France are changing their plans*. Reasons:

Do not feel welcome 66.5%

Economy 21.7%

War 15.4%

Fear of terrorism 12.4%

Source: French Government Tourist Office

* — Survey of 796 Americans; more than one answer may apply.

Boycott grinds on against French food, wine, travel

By Bruce Horovitz, USA TODAY

The war is over. So the French boycott should be toast, right? Wrong. France continues to take it on the chin — and in the gut.

Nearly one in five Americans who regularly buy French products say they have stopped because of France's outspoken opposition to the war in Iraq, according to a USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup survey.

American venom toward the French just won't let up. It's hit everything from travel to wine sales to the unloading of French stocks by American investors.

The French Government Tourist Office — which figures France will lose about $500 million in American tourist business this year for a variety of reasons — is taking the situation so seriously that it is about to begin a multicity campaign promoting travel bargains to France.

"We're going to talk directly to the American people," says Robin Massee, a tourism spokeswoman.

Forget about Paris

Two of every five Americans who planned to visit France are changing their plans*. Reasons:

Economy 21.7%

War 15.4%

Fear of terrorism 12.4%

The war is over. So the French boycott should be toast, right? Wrong. France continues to take it on the chin — and in the gut.

Nearly one in five Americans who regularly buy French products say they have stopped because of France's outspoken opposition to the war in Iraq, according to a USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup survey.

American venom toward the French just won't let up. It's hit everything from travel to wine sales to the unloading of French stocks by American investors.

The French Government Tourist Office — which figures France will lose about $500 million in American tourist business this year for a variety of reasons — is taking the situation so seriously that it is about to begin a multicity campaign promoting travel bargains to France.

"We're going to talk directly to the American people," says Robin Massee, a tourism spokeswoman.

While I like the French in many ways I was put off making further visits to that country by the bloody rudeness and arrogance displayed to non French speaking tourists and that they are always striking over something or other.

This was long before Iraq

Forget about Paris

Economy 21.7%

War 15.4%

Fear of terrorism 12.4%

And that backs up Bill O'reilly's talk of France losing 'billions' how exactly?

He was spreading misinformation, do you have any comment on my other more blatant example?

You might like to read this

But the idea that you could go to jail didn't get started with Fox News. The idea spread because under some versions of the health care bill you could have gone to jail. On September 25, Politico reported:

Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) received a handwritten note Thursday from Joint Committee on Taxation Chief of Staff Tom Barthold confirming the penalty for failing to pay the up to $1,900 fee for not buying health insurance.

Violators could be charged with a misdemeanor and could face up to a year in jail or a $25,000 penalty

ABC News reported on the letter as well. As Allahpundit notes, "It’s not like the possibility of prison was some far-out conspiracy theory: Obama and Pelosi were both asked about it months ago, when the bill was still taking shape, and both conspicuously declined to say 'no way.'"

The media coverage forced the Senate to include a specific provision in the bill unveiled October 19 that stipulated no one would go to jail for not buying insurance. So you could argue that after October 19, reporters should have acknowledged you probably wouldn't go to jail. But we really didn't know what the enforcement mechanism for the individual mandate would be until the final text of the bill was released in March

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/olbermann-suggested-jail-time-obamacare-evaders-0

Archived