American contribution to the world

I've found that if you al least try to speak French they are much more likely to be nice to you, it is their country and their language, it's only fair they expect you to have a go at it rather than demand they speak your langauge. The attitude of people in Paris (as with most big/capital cities) is not the same as the whole of France, it's like saying everyone in the USA is grumpy and rude after only visiting New York.

On the other hand if a French speaking tourist happened to visit the US and is in some tourist mecca like Vegas and had some difficulty with the English language he would be treated with concern and friendly curiosity.

Americans like people with foreign accents particularly those from Europe.

I think the French attitude is based on a certain arrogant belief that their language and culture is slighly superior to anyone elss's. I know for a fact that once a Frenchman leaves France he's saying goodbye to the only "decent cuisine" in the world :hihi:

true, I'm just waiting for Mr Obamas first scandal to break

I don't think you'll find anything there, anyhow his men are doing it instead, three of his main players have already jumped ship :)

I think the French attitude is based on a certain arrogant belief that their language and culture is slighly superior to anyone elss's.

Don't we all suffer from that, isn't it the basis of this thread ?

true, I'm just waiting for Mr Obamas first scandal to break

We have our political clowns vis a vis rep. Anthony Weiner, New York Democrat who has been very much in the news lately due to E-mailing shots of himself in the nude to a girlfriend :hihi:

Don't we all suffer from that, isn't it the basis of this thread ?

I think Americans are proud of their country but on the other hand in all the years I've been here I've yet to come across one (excepty my father-in-law) who had anything bad to say about England or European culture in general In my earlier years here when there were still a lot of WW2 vets around those who had served in England were always very eager to discuss their time there and the particular place where they had been based.

Never heard a put down from one of them except my wife's dad who hadn't much time for the English but we ended up like a real father and son anyway

Archived