American contribution to the world

I've come late to this thread and can't be bothered reading all the preceding posts, but I hope the American contribution to popular music has had enough credit.

The US pretty well invented popular music through the invention of the technology of recording music alongside the rich folk heritage of African music, European music and home grown hybrids.

And moving picture shows. Entrepreneurs from Europe who headed out west where the weather was ideal for filming and gave birth to the film industry in a small California farming town called Hollywood

And moving picture shows. Entrepreneurs from Europe who headed out west where the weather was ideal for filming and gave birth to the film industry in a small California farming town called Hollywood

Nope the 1st public 'moving picture show" was in France, the US and assorted European film industries developed simultaneously as did the technologies they relied upon. Hollywood ended up the dominant global player but the US can't claim to have "contributed" moving picture shows to the world.

Nope the 1st public 'moving picture show" was in France, the US and assorted European film industries developed simultaneously as did the technologies they relied upon. Hollywood ended up the dominant global player but the US can't claim to have "contributed" moving picture shows to the world.

But Hollywood did bring movies to the world whereas in France the industry provided entertainment only to domestic audiences in the early years

Was there any French equivalent to the Keystone Kops, Chaplin, Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy, Buster Keaton, Gloria Swanson, Douglas Fairbanks for example? Chaplin and Laurel were British I know

Even in the early years (the 20s) these films were being shown globally so even if the "moving picture" technology was not entirely an American invention at least movies that were loved all over the world were an American contribution

They do like to steal the credit for other's inventions a lot, apparently they invented TV too.

Corporate USA is a great empire, and war is the most productive economic industry ever thought of. Exploiting this niche is Uncle Sam, as...Today there are more than 766 US bases scattered around the globe, spanning across more than 100 countries and hosting more than 250.000 soldiers, in addition to the one million-plus soldiers stationed in the US. Almost every single war waged by the US in the course of the 20th century has left behind a trail of new military bases, not only within the borders of the defeated countries.

This sounds all right as the persuasive propaganda allows then to have taken root in the UK, where they have several bases. They impose themselves anywhere they choose, but ask yourself one question if you dare: Would the USA has not to date allowed one foreign country to have even one base within the USA, so what is good for the goose is not apparently good for the gander? Double standards maybe?

Corporate USA is a great empire, and war is the most productive economic industry ever thought of. Exploiting this niche is Uncle Sam, as...Today there are more than 766 US bases scattered around the globe, spanning across more than 100 countries and hosting more than 250.000 soldiers, in addition to the one million-plus soldiers stationed in the US. Almost every single war waged by the US in the course of the 20th century has left behind a trail of new military bases, not only within the borders of the defeated countries.

This sounds all right as the persuasive propaganda allows then to have taken root in the UK, where they have several bases. They impose themselves anywhere they choose, but ask yourself one question if you dare: Would the USA has not to date allowed one foreign country to have even one base within the USA, so what is good for the goose is not apparently good for the gander? Double standards maybe?

I don't have any problem with US bases being in the UK. Historically, US have bases around the globe so that they can contribute to the defence of their allies. The US don't need to have other countries bases in thier own borders, they have the capability to defend themselves.

I don't have any problem with US bases being in the UK. Historically, US have bases around the globe so that they can contribute to the defence of their allies. The US don't need to have other countries bases in thier own borders, they have the capability to defend themselves.

I was going to reply to that typical anti western post but you said it all before I had chance.

We were glad they were on our side in both world wars.

Archived