American contribution to the world

, but ask yourself one question if you dare: Would the USA has not to date allowed one foreign country to have even one base within the USA, so what is good for the goose is not apparently good for the gander? Double standards maybe?

Maybe you could tell us why anyone would need to have a base in the US.

Do you think the US being host to a number of other states air bases would have helped?

I dont know, I'm just making the point that on that occasion the US wasn't in a position to defend itself adequetely, no one new what was going to happen next on that morning and for one reason or another the US,s vast fleet of jet fighters were not able to be scrambled at short notice to shoot down any other rogue planes.

But Hollywood did bring movies to the world whereas in France the industry provided entertainment only to domestic audiences in the early years

Was there any French equivalent to the Keystone Kops, Chaplin, Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy, Buster Keaton, Gloria Swanson, Douglas Fairbanks for example? Chaplin and Laurel were British I know

Even in the early years (the 20s) these films were being shown globally so even if the "moving picture" technology was not entirely an American invention at least movies that were loved all over the world were an American contribution

Actually I think you'll find that the work of early pioneers such as André Deed, Max Linder & Georges Méliès were shown round the world including in the US. Paul Merton did an interesting documentary on them recently.

The USA has certainly contributed many of the most loved films and film stars to the world but it is simply false to claim that it also contributed the "moving picture show". That was a simultaneous group effort by western civilisation in general.

They do like to steal the credit for other's inventions a lot, apparently they invented TV too.

Whose claiming that ? TV service first began in the London area a few years before the start of WW2 then ceased at the start of the war. A British inventor Mr. Logie Baird built the first workable TV unit. Anyone knows that, or should.

As for inventions it's generally been the case that the US has improved on inventions originating elsewhere.

A single example; The car.

Henry Ford was able to put the car within reach of the common man almost worldwide with the Model T.

Prior to that car ownership was only something the wealthy and privileged could afford

Even my old grandad living in rural Ireland bought one. I still have a photo of him and grandma standing proudly beside it

the US was the best at it though, even in the silent era when there was no language barrier. American films were by far the most popular worldwide. And most of the early innovations in movie making came from America, including the idea of shooting a film with a plot and characters. None of those European pioneers actually shot a film with a story and characters, in other words what we today would recognise as a film. The first real movie director was an American - Edwin S. Porter.

I don't have any problem with US bases being in the UK. Historically, US have bases around the globe so that they can contribute to the defence of their allies. The US don't need to have other countries bases in thier own borders, they have the capability to defend themselves.

You've posted exactly what I was about to say.

Archived