American contribution to the world

How about George Burns? Not everybody's kind of comedian but I found him funny. Saw him once at Caeser's Palace. He was well over 90 at that time also

Interviewer: Mr Burns is it true you're almost 96?

Burns: Yep !

Intv: And is it true you still smoke 8 Cubans a day?

Intv: And half a bottle of bourbon a day also

Intv: And you've been seen around town with two 20 year old redheads

Burns: Yep! That's right

Intv: What does your doctor have to say about all this?

Burns: He died fifteen months ago

I never felt any cause to be anti-American. I grew up with the idea that the two most evil entities in the world were Nazism and Soviet Communism both of them despicable tyrannies that killed millions. The Americans were the good guys even in the sixties when many spoiled post war kids, indulged in by their WW2 generation parents were burning US flags and waving VC flags and trashing the campuses of colleges where their parents at great expense had sent them to study

Today that "radical generation" are just a bunch of middle aged geezers worried about their cholesterol levels and 401 K investments and wondering if Social Security, one of the "Government establishments" they so despised will have enough money to pay their old age pensions.

I know that I was fortunate enough to be able to grow up in a democratic society, never knowing things such as midnight arrests. the Gestapo and KGB was very much owed to the millions of Americans who came over to Europe and helped destroy Hitler and afterwards kept us free from Stalin's tyranny.

And that's just the way I see it.

The problem is that you deny anybody else seeing the world in any way but yours. In this utopia you believe in the civil rights abuses in the southern states of America, during those democratic '60's remember? never happened. The massive human rights abuses and war crimes commited in Vietnam are a figment of everybody elses imagination. The state experimenting on its own citizens only happened in the 'dispicable tyrannies'. The McCarthy witchhunts, very democratic, I suspose your history lessons skipped those. The selling out of Tibet by the US to try to put a brake on the USSR forgotten that as well have we? I'm sure from your middle class rose tinted perspective the last 40 years of US history has been a beacon of Democracy, I suggest you look at that history from the point of view of those who have spent the last 40 years being oppressed by that 'democratic' country. Unless of course you believe that atrocities commited by a democracy are somehow less dispicable than those commited by a tyranny?

The problem is that you deny anybody else seeing the world in any way but yours. In this utopia you believe in the civil rights abuses in the southern states of America, during those democratic '60's remember? never happened. The massive human rights abuses and war crimes commited in Vietnam are a figment of everybody elses imagination. The state experimenting on its own citizens only happened in the 'dispicable tyrannies'. The McCarthy witchhunts, very democratic, I suspose your history lessons skipped those. The selling out of Tibet by the US to try to put a brake on the USSR forgotten that as well have we? I'm sure from your middle class rose tinted perspective the last 40 years of US history has been a beacon of Democracy, I suggest you look at that history from the point of view of those who have spent the last 40 years being oppressed by that 'democratic' country. Unless of course you believe that atrocities commited by a democracy are somehow less dispicable than those commited by a tyranny?

Very well put but prepare yourself for some heavy insults Iuchi!

Thank the lard for some balance.

I won't bother to ask Buck just what 'my ilk' of person actually is, I'm sure he didn't mean to insult me -. But at least, I seem to be off his ignore list which is nice -.

And if Iuchi Zein's post doesn't say it all - it says enough to be going on with.

Archived