American contribution to the world

Keep wriggling! Next you'll be saying English isn't your first language and we're all picking on you!

There you go again practicing your continual habit of typecasting. Yiou accused me of being a racist. Now you assume I"m not a native Englsih speaker and a self pitying whiner.

I can take as well as give and you wont find me clicking on the report button so give it a rest will ya?

This thread has had a lot of positive dialogue. I would like to see it continue and not be pulled by the Mods.

The thread isn't about you or me or anybody else. If you want to start a thread about ex-pat bullies and racists be my guest but get the subject off this one.

There you go again practicing your continual habit of typecasting. Yiou accused me of being a racist. Now you assume I"m not a native Englsih speaker and a self pitying whiner.

I can take as well as give and you wont find me clicking on the report button so give it a rest will ya?

This thread has had a lot of positive dialogue. I would like to see it continue and not be pulled by the Mods.

The thread isn't about you or me or anybody else. If you want to start a thread about ex-pat bullies and racists be my guest but get the subject off this one.

I've seen it all before in my seven years on SF, here by March, full of P and vinegar,and go to bother some other site by Christmas. All this shall pass.:hihi:

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

A backyard abortion if ever I saw one

It is in fact an autogyro, not a helicopter. An autogyro has rotors which are not driven. they spin with the forward motion created by the propellor which you can clearly see in the picture, They were quite popular in the thirties especially in America built by a firm called Kellet. They are capable of very short landings and take offs, but cannot hover. Nobody should ever argue a subject they know nothing about. I have worked in aviation since I was 17, and it is my lifelong passion.

It is in fact an autogyro, not a helicopter. An autogyro has rotors which are not driven. they spin with the forward motion created by the propellor which you can clearly see in the picture, They were quite popular in the thirties especially in America built by a firm called Kellet. They are capable of very short landings and take offs, but cannot hover. Nobody should ever argue a subject they know nothing about. I have worked in aviation since I was 17, and it is my lifelong passion.

That vindicates me then as I claimed that the chopper shown in "Where eagles dare" was far too modern looking to have been in use by Germany during WW2 and therefore an anachronism.

But I've seem as bad. A 1951 Morris Minor shown in the old TV series "Rat Patrol" about the LRDG in WW2 Libya.

I know film makers have to stick to a budget but that was ridiculous :hihi:

Weren't they shown rotating when it was still on the ground with people standing around it?

The rotor on a Autogyro only turned when it was travelling forewards I believe.

Weren't they shown rotating when it was still on the ground with people standing around it?

It wasn't a chopper in any sense of the word. Those who claimed it was the earliest protoype are wrong

If the rotors weren't locked, they would rotate in the wind. I noticed on this aircraft a belt drive to each rotor. but the primary drive was to the nose propeller. From my long experience in military helicopters I can assure you this aircraft would not have been able to hover. Igor Sikorsky invented the helicopter. His S51 Dragonfly was the first to see combat during the Korean war.

Archived