American contribution to the world

Because it's detracting from America by and large and that appears to be what the mods want. You notice that anything that detracts from muslims is locked almost immediately ... why you think that might be?[/quote.

Seems to me the mods can't win and I've had PLENTY of stick from them so don't accuse me of bum lickin.

The thread is legitimate and of interest to many; anyway lets not blow too much smoke up their yank asses!

Anyway, I'M APPALLED at the latest figures regarding Americas finest export - obesity. Yes the kids of britain are hanging around MacDonalds like a mass of unexploded bombs waiting to decimate an already overstretched health service.

And it's all America's fault. America - land of the lard ass.

You should write your MP and express in the strongest terms that all McDonalds must be closed immediately or you wont vote for him anymore :hihi:

You could also suggest that the government bring back that great British culinary institution the Lyons Corner house.

Start a nationwide campaign "Eat British... stay skinny"

What fond memories of Lyons Corner houses. Especially breakfast after a night on the beer.

Cold greasy eggs, bits of shrivelled bacon, choice only of white bread (often yesterdays), coffee made from some kind of liquorice out of a bottle) a pat of butter that you might be able to see through a microscope and a slice of cake or a tart that you had already seen in the glass case two days previously.

If McDs is everywhere in Britain it's only because there was a total lack of imagination in British cooking. It was dull and stodgy as I remember all too well

If you ordered roast beef for a dinner meal it was so thin that you would have to place a paper weight on it to keep it from floating away...... and the service that went with it ............:rolleyes:

I remember the first Chinese restaurant that opened in the town I was living in back then. Everybody was thrilled to bits... a big deal...... same with the first Tandoori.........

The British public were fed up with the lack of choice, the unimaginative preparation and the often slow and sometimes indifferent service.

The situation was ripe for something like McDs to appear on the scene but there were no British enrtrepreneurs apparently who had the imagination to open up something as radical as a fast food outlet.

Too bad you had to wait for a couple of Yank brothers to come up with the idea and export it to your shores :hihi:

I've ridden in a few Meteors in my time. they were a very nice aircraft, but they didn't have ejector seats. A friend of mine was killed when he jumped out of one and hit the tail.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-14031264

"Britain's oldest flying jet aircraft has landed at Coventry Airport where it will be used in air shows and for pilot training."

Soul music. Good for the soul.

Earth Wind and Fire, Styllistics, Aretha the Queen of Soul, Natalie Cole,Stephanie Mills, Anita Baker, Marvin Gaye, The Chi Lites, James Brown, Percy Sledge, The Commodores.

And others: Spandau Ballet, Neil Diamond, Hiroshima (Japanese American), Richie Valens (California boy from L.A), Chicago.

I thought you took a dim view of druggies. That's what my post was about :hihi:

Sorry I was more interested in the music.

I played through that era and before, I still play, and have never been tempted to dabble although it has gone on around me, my kicks and highs are when I strap on my Bass

The British public were fed up with the lack of choice, the unimaginative preparation and the often slow and sometimes indifferent service.

The situation was ripe for something like McDs to appear on the scene but there were no British enrtrepreneurs apparently who had the imagination to open up something as radical as a fast food outlet.

Too bad you had to wait for a couple of Yank brothers to come up with the idea and export it to your shores :hihi:

Wait a mo - are you basing the whole of British cuisine on Lyons Corner Houses? And if you are - are you saying that MacDogburgers are better??

You really need to be more objective and face the fact that America are doing a great advertising job regarding the sale of all kinds of junk the world over - luring our kids into early graves.

Even your leading soft drinks producers have just released their groundbreaking new sugar free drink. (I will NOT speak their name)! Though it's laden with a multitude of dodgy chemicals instead and is probably more detrimental to developing minds and bodies than the standard drink.

You are happy, it seems, to buy into the myth that British food is bad (but then you would be wouldn't you)? British food, through the ages, has generally been simple, wholesome and filling. Appropriate to the climate maybe.

Have you ever had a REAL Cornish Pasty the size of a house brick from Cornwall baked by one of the many small village bakeries - made to ancient recipes with lamb and turnip?

Or Yorkshire Pud filled with chunks of medium rare beef and (properly - not overly) cooked vegetables? How about an Arbroath Smokey - cured in the flavoursome smoke of oak and eaten with an oven bottom bread cake? I could go on. It is a myth that we cook veg to a mush and meat to a blackened crisp. And that our food is boring.

Have you been watching my hero - Gordon Ramsey - showing you yanks how to cook? What a man - wish I was gay! My O.H says he can batter HER cod anyday!!! But that's another story. Having said that - some of the staff of these yank restaurants are REAL humans. Warm and welcoming, unpretentious and witty. Others are complete tw+ts though - swaggering and aggressive, macho and uncompromising - and that's just the women!!

But to get back to British fare - it takes more than soggy spuds and over-cooked meat to sustain a world conquering nation.

Archived