American contribution to the world

Sure I can imagine the chinese and indians be a much more oppressive world powers

America as a nation with world power is nearly over

Buts it's the corporations and banks who keep hold of the power !

Many banks and co are moving east

However

One of the most underreported stories has been the north American union ( similar to the eurozone )

May be when that is done (if) we may see something else ??

not too sure what makes you think they're so stable. Just watch and wait for the latest Chinese civil war. America's had one. China's had loads, but then they've had more time to get themselves into that sorry predicament on occasion. Eventually, they'll have another one. Things are flakier than they seem in China.

The number of affluent people is rising in China but there are over one billion of them and hundreds of millions live a life not far above the breadline. There is a very large percentage of aging Chinese also with a corresponding drop in the birthrate which means that in a matter of a decade or two the numerically fewer will have to provide support for the very numerically larger aged and no longer working.

There are other potential problems also which have to be overcome

Not a very good scenario for the future. I dont think China will ever, or even wish to become the next military superpower. By nature they are merchants and businessmen and that's where their interests lie

However

One of the most underreported stories has been the north American union ( similar to the eurozone )

May be when that is done (if) we may see something else ??

Are you replying to your own posts now? Interesting :loopy:

As I mentioned previously the British population wanted far more choice. The matter of the food being healthy or not wasnt an issue. Were people healthier 60 years ago? No. They may have been thinner because of the lack of easy access to instantly prepared food but smoking was a national pastime and cheap strong beer was the cause of widespread public drunkeness and alcoholism.

This part of your reply I disagree with Harl. We, as a planet, were not food obsessed then as we are today. Me and my sibs needed no encouragement to eat our fresh veg. And at school dinner we HAD to clear our plates before we were allowed out into the playground – though again, very few kids had a problem with that!

I recall heaps of fresh salad at home and at school in summer; and in winter, homemade soups, stews and hash (no not Ganja!!) I never felt a need for a greater variety, in all honesty.

People were certainly more healthy even 30 years ago and if I could be arsed to trawl for the facts, I’m pretty sure I’d find them. Smoking still is a national pastime and as for ‘widespread public drunkenness and alcoholism’ – come on pal, visit ANY city in Merry England on a weekend and you might well find widespread drunkenness – as for alcoholism I believe you are completely wrong. But again, were I to trawl for the facts regarding public disturbance due to drunkenness 60 years ago I’m certain that the numbers would be negligible. And I’m not talking in relative terms.

As far as I can remember my old man was extremely unimpressed with most beers in terms of strength AND price! So I’m not sure where you got that from, though that was less than SIXTY years ago.

Told you Harl – bad food Britain is a monstrous myth!!

Have you been on holiday staying in motels as we have twice been to in Nashville?

We ate out most days for a fraction of the price in the UK for twice the amount.

Five of us went to 'Ryan's All Can Eat' restaurant for $27 for all 5 not each and that included coffee and soft drinks.

This part of your reply I disagree with Harl. We, as a planet, were not food obsessed then as we are today. Me and my sibs needed no encouragement to eat our fresh veg. And at school dinner we HAD to clear our plates before we were allowed out into the playground – though again, very few kids had a problem with that!

I recall heaps of fresh salad at home and at school in summer; and in winter, homemade soups, stews and hash (no not Ganja!!) I never felt a need for a greater variety, in all honesty.

People were certainly more healthy even 30 years ago and if I could be arsed to trawl for the facts, I’m pretty sure I’d find them. Smoking still is a national pastime and as for ‘widespread public drunkenness and alcoholism’ – come on pal, visit ANY city in Merry England on a weekend and you might well find widespread drunkenness – as for alcoholism I believe you are completely wrong. But again, were I to trawl for the facts regarding public disturbance due to drunkenness 60 years ago I’m certain that the numbers would be negligible. And I’m not talking in relative terms.

As far as I can remember my old man was extremely unimpressed with most beers in terms of strength AND price! So I’m not sure where you got that from, though that was less than SIXTY years ago.

I'll agree with you 100 percent that the food that I knew as a kid was healthy even if limited in variety.

The school meals were great. A van used to arrive at the school at dinnertime and the food ladies would unload big stainless steel urns and dish it out cafeteria style. It was piping hot and nourishing with a dessert afterwards. There were also crates of free milk delivered everyday. As much as you could drink if there were any leftovers. For that we could thank the post war Labour government under Clement Attlee.

I have to say that there is nothing like that kind of food offered in American schools. We used to send our kids to school with packed lunches. The food oulet on the campus served junk, nachos, fries and soda pop. I reckon the thinking is that it's up to the parents to take care of the food and the school takes care of the education.

As for my opinion of alcoholism as it existed in my young days I know that going to the boozer for a few every evening was a regular event in the working class area I grew up in. Unlike binge drinking by kids today, mature working adults, many middle aged made up most of the customers in the pubs and coming home drunk several nights a week was a regular thing. I'm sure also that calculated per percentage of the population that the numbers of deaths from lung cancer were higher in the 50s and 60s than they are today.

Times change though. Women dont cook as much as they used to. They dont stay at home much either now working full time to make ends meet in a pricey world so it's a case of "bang it in the microwave or let's eat out tonight" and places like McDs are very convenient for fast food at affordable prices.

Until I arrived in Canada I never tasted a T-bone steak, lobster, crab, shrimp,

Mediteranean or what a decent hamburger and a hot dog was all about so my culinary experience was widened considerably at that time.

Anyway as most of these threads on food always seem to center on McDs it's a total myth that their burgers and fries are the boilerplate for what a good burger should be.

In 'n' Out's are way and above superior when it comes to the chain outlets.

Perhaps they're not in Europe yet though.

Have you been on holiday staying in motels as we have twice been to in Nashville?

We ate out most days for a fraction of the price in the UK for twice the amount.

Five of us went to 'Ryan's All Can Eat' restaurant for $27 for all 5 not each and that included coffee and soft drinks.

There's a place called Pea Soup Andersens on the Interstate 5 about halfway between L.A and San Francisco that serves the largest meals I've evers seen in my life. So big in fact I dont think a bear could even finish one completely.

The first time we stopped there we ordered a meal each but ended up sharing one and dumping the other. Even after that we left the place feeling bloated and uncomfortable. Total cost for that was around 25 dollars.

I imagine they can afford to serve up those gigantic quantities as they're open 24/7 and always very busy

There's a place called Pea Soup Andersens on the Interstate 5 about halfway between L.A and San Francisco that serves the largest meals I've evers seen in my life. So big in fact I dont think a bear could even finish one completely.

The first time we stopped there we ordered a meal each but ended up sharing one and dumping the other. Even after that we left the place feeling bloated and uncomfortable. Total cost for that was around 25 dollars.

I imagine they can afford to serve up those gigantic quantities as they're open 24/7 and always very busy

OMG. Pea Soup Andersons is legendary! Our family always stopped there for lunch on our way from NorCal to SoCal when I was growing up. The food is fabulous and even though I was a willful child and hated raisins, dates and pea soup, (funny, 'cause I love them now) my sisters and I ate bowls of split pea soup and my parents bought raisin cookies and date bars for the road. Crumbs in the car, be damned!

They do sell the canned soup, but it's not as good as in the restaurant. And all these years I thought it was in Santa Nella, it's actually in Buellton.

OMG. Pea Soup Andersons is legendary! Our family always stopped there for lunch on our way from NorCal to SoCal when I was growing up. The food is fabulous and even though I was a willful child and hated raisins, dates and pea soup, (funny, 'cause I love them now) my sisters and I ate bowls of split pea soup and my parents bought raisin cookies and date bars for the road. Crumbs in the car, be damned!

They do sell the canned soup, but it's not as good as in the restaurant. And all these years I thought it was in Santa Nella, it's actually in Buellton.

That's the one and you're right. The canned stuff is not as good as what they serve in the restaurant. Beware if you ever order the soup, club sandwich and fries. You wont dare step on the weigh scale for a week afterwards :hihi:

Why did I suspect that quantity rather than quality would be your forte - cheapskate? I prefer my grub straight from the kitchen rather than from a fly infested hotplate. But then, I suppose it's good enough for those accustomed to third class dining.

Archived