American contribution to the world

It was a fantastic experience, we wouldn't have missed it, today some may call it a bit tacky, he certainly woulddn't live there today due to it getting too built up around it.
The last time I was in Nashville was some years ago for a paper industry convention. We stayed at the Opryland Hotel, and there was an Avon Cosmetics convention going on at the same time. A bunch of us went to a restaurant called the 101st Airborne, which had shell holes all around it, some Sherman tanks and a DC 3. The inside was like a trench with the sound and sight of artillery fire all around. The food was excellent.

amazingly, nobody has mentioned the first powered flight. It happened in the USA. You remember. The Wright Brothers.

I remember looking back a couple of years after the 100th anniversary of this seminal event, which would have been December 2003 and thinking, hey how come there was no massive commemoration, worldwide, of this incredible achievement.

then I remembered I was in a small village in Malaysian Borneo at that particular time where the nearest internet cafe was about 10 miles away, and therefore could be forgiven for maybe missing out on it.

I think we ought to expect some sort of commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Moon Landing in 2019. Is it just me, or was the 100th anniversary of the world's first powered flight, a seminal event by any standard, just brushed under the carpet?

The last time I was in Nashville was some years ago for a paper industry convention. We stayed at the Opryland Hotel, and there was an Avon Cosmetics convention going on at the same time. A bunch of us went to a restaurant called the 101st Airborne, which had shell holes all around it, some Sherman tanks and a DC 3. The inside was like a trench with the sound and sight of artillery fire all around. The food was excellent.

My Husband was in the 101st Airborne.

amazingly, nobody has mentioned the first powered flight. It happened in the USA. You remember. The Wright Brothers.

I remember looking back a couple of years after the 100th anniversary of this seminal event, which would have been December 2003 and thinking, hey how come there was no massive commemoration, worldwide, of this incredible achievement.

then I remembered I was in a small village in Malaysian Borneo at that particular time where the nearest internet cafe was about 10 miles away, and therefore could be forgiven for maybe missing out on it.

I think we ought to expect some sort of commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Moon Landing in 2019. Is it just me, or was the 100th anniversary of the world's first powered flight, a seminal event by any standard, just brushed under the carpet?

Your right, but when everyone achieves the original creativity of something, that originality becomes somehow less. First man on the moon = shockwaves across the planet. Tenth man on the moon = who was he?

Millions fly everyday, we're a fickle lot us humans.

Interesting thought but does anyone have any ideas on what the next earth moving event will be?

We used to pass the 101st Airbourne Association not far from the airport.

The Opreyland hotel is massive with the river running through it.

Bought a beautiful 5 string Bass in Nashville, saved £500 on the UK price and managed to get it through customs.

Once again displaying your utter ignorance, the 'W' bit was dropped long ago.

Nashville is so diverse in it's music but you wouldn't know that, Lionel Hampton (Benny Goodman Orchestra) Orchestra playing for free on the Cumberland river stage, Rufus Thomas (Blues Star) playing on Printers Alley, in fact just about all genres of music playing.

Very unlikely being the blinkered moron that you are coming accross as.

Only a fool was broadcast opinions about somewhere they then admit they've never visited.

You really are clutching at straws while you can call me names for not knowing that C+W is now just W!!

But you all are doing a fine job of diverting the thread from its original topic - anyone would think that you

and your little friends don't want to face up to the fact that America has not been quite the benefactor to the

planet and its inhabitants that you would like to think.

And I see you are very selective about what you take literally in my posts and which parts you choose to

reply to.

There's very little you could tell me about the music industry big man just because I don't brag about my musical accomplishments as you do.(Though you probably wouldn't know a bass from a cello).

As for your last little gem of utter tosh I 'broadcast opinions' about MANY places I've never visited, THE MOON

being one such place. 'You are coming across' as a totally brain-dead bozo.(note I use your own brand of

cowardice to ensure I can't be accused of actually insulting you).

here is a great article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/14130942

It was indeed a good article and very eye opening to this yank. Language evolves and changes all the time, most Americans are truly baffled at all the hate. In California, we are bombarded with words from Latin America, Pacific Rim countries, our dear Hawaii and all the new words immigrants introduce. Which by the way, my favorite one mentioned in the article was open the kimono. Love that, but it's been in use for a while now. Look at the date on the article in the link. It must be japanese in origin? Anyway, I just don't get all the resistance to change. Unless people feel that their english culture is being corrupted? That must be it. Funny how people are never upset about new foods invading but don't like new words. Maybe with the exception of McDonalds, which I can totally understand.

All my life, I've lived with the notion that whatever is around today that you really like you better enjoy it NOW because six months from now, it will either be different or gone completely. Perhaps because we are a young country? Maybe California is different because even as a child, I knew that the building around me could change and the earth under my feet could shift. And when they rebuilt or repaired things they were never the same. You just...get used to that. Nothing is ever truly permanent. Only a photograph. I think it must be something in American culture that you're just always looking forward to the next thing.

Archived